Skip to main content

Courses Through IUDC

Guide for the Perplexed:

Registering for Courses through the IUDC.

You can register for doctoral-level courses at other universities in the New York area that are relevant to your studies and research interests. Fordham has reciprocal agreements with members of the Inter-University Doctoral Consortium (IUDC), which includes Columbia, Graduate Center at CUNY, NYU, the New School, Princeton, Rutgers, Stony Brook, and Teacher's College, Columbia.

There are some restrictions for taking courses outside of Fordham:

  • You must have completed at least a year of PhD coursework.
  • You can take only one consortium course each semester.
  • You can’t take IUDC courses during the summer.
  • You must take the course for credit.

Follow these steps to register for a consortium course:

  1. Check with your advisor and the Associate Chair of Graduate Studies to confirm that you’re eligible to take a consortium course and that the course you want to take fits your program and research interests.
  2. Download and print the consortium registration form.
  3. Gather the necessary signatures:
  • The Home School Chair or Program Director is our Department Chair, but bring your request first to the Associate Chair for Graduate Studies.
  • The Home School IUDC Coordinator is Joanne Schwind (
  • The course instructor is the faculty member teaching the course at the other school.
  • The Host School IUDC Chair. The contact information for each institution’s contact is listed on the second page of the registration form.

You can obtain signatures from the course instructor and the Host Institution Chair electronically by sending a scan of the form by email. For help with scanning, talk to Sue Perciasepe in the department office.

  1. Once you have all necessary signatures, return the completed form to Joanne Schwind.

When you complete the course, you need to obtain an official record of your grades from the Host School IUDC Chair and submit it to Joanne Schwind in order to get credit.


(See: GSAS Academic Policies and Procedures Guidebook, p. 22).