Doctoral Certificate in Medieval Studies
Directed by Fordham’s Center for Medieval Studies, our doctoral-level Advanced Certificate program will allow you to broaden your knowledge of the Middle Ages and add an interdisciplinary concentration to your curriculum vitae. This medieval concentration is only open to students who have already been admitted to a Fordham doctoral program in the classics, English, history, philosophy, or theology departments.
You’ll conduct scholarly research in two areas of specialization outside of your doctoral department and gain valuable training and experience by participating in conferences and events offered by the center.
- Eligibility to apply for a second senior teaching fellowship, which provides an additional year of funding
- Cross registration for courses and library privileges at local universities participating in the Medieval Doctoral Consortium
- Easy access to extensive medieval collections at the Fordham Libraries, the New York Public Library, the Morgan Library & Museum, the Cloisters, and the Metropolitan Museum of Art
- Requirements include two courses each in two areas of specialization plus a course in Latin paleography for a total of five courses
- Must demonstrate a reading knowledge of Latin (and Greek where appropriate) as well as two modern languages other than English
- Must pass comprehensive exams in the two areas of specialization