Key Points for Department Chairs
- Reimbursement of expenses is not provided simply for attendance and is reserved for tenured and tenure-track faculty presenting and on the program.
- Faculty with discretionary funds, start-up allowances or external grants should use those sources before the department’s travel funds.
- Meals are reimbursed only at actual cost, supported by receipts, NOT per diem, even though the Concur Expense App allows and provides per diem rates; this is a Dean of A&S Faculty policy.
- All travel receipts are to be processed within 30 days of the conclusion of travel.
- Booking travel (flights, train fare, etc.) via Concur Travel can allow the user to charge the cost of the ticket directly to the department's budget. However, 100% of the cost will be charged and this approach is not recommended if 100% of the trip is not being covered under the A&S academic travel allotment.
Personnel Committee Decisions
- Reappointment, tenure and promotion applications can be generated as Word documents from the Faculty Activity Report system.
- The Dean of Faculty prefers that personnel materials, with the exception of what must be submitted on paper, be transferred to him electronically – if not everything, then at least the applicant material and SEEQ reports. There are several secure systems that may be used for this. In keeping information electronically, it is most important that the applicant have NO ACCESS to any information after s/he has submitted the application materials.
- Faculty recommendations are to be sent to the Dean of Faculty’s Office within one week of the personnel committee meeting; attendance list to be sent the next day.
- All paperwork that requires a signature should be signed in blue ink on paper, and the paper copy sent to the Dean of Faculty’s Office.
- A report on teaching (SEEQs and/or peer-review of classes) is to be sent to the Dean of Faculty for anyone, tenure-track or non-tenure-track, who is has taught at Fordham and for which a personnel decision is being made.
- If awarded a one-semester faculty fellowship, the faculty member will teach three (3) courses in the semester here at Fordham.
- To change the terms of a Faculty Fellowship, the awardee needs to notify the Department Chair in writing. If the Chair approves, she/he will send it on to the Dean of Faculty. From there it is submitted for approval to the Provost’s Office and, if successful, the recommendations are sent to the Office of Research for final approval. The Office of Research will issue a letter either denying or granting the change in the term.
- Faculty receiving support for conferences, workshops, lectures, and other activities through the A&S Deans' Faculty Funding Program, will be sent an award notice detailing the support provided. Funds will be transferred into the department's operating budget unless otherwise specified. Faculty should begin arrangements upon receipt of the award notice and do not need to wait for the transfer to be reflected in Banner Finance.