Working Legally in the U.S.

F-1 international students have a few options for employment while in the United States. You will need to apply for work authorization unless it is volunteer work or on-campus employment. You cannot work if you do not obtain the proper work authorization. The diagram below shows the type of employment authorization for F-1 students. You should check your eligibility before pursuing an employment.

Students who have on-campus employment or off-campus work authorization are eligible to apply for a social security number.


OIS Employment PPT

  • Employment Authorization Chart