International Student Travel


As an international student/scholar you are permitted to travel internationally.  However, it is important for an international student/scholar to travel with required documents to ensure a smooth reentry to the United States. Be sure to keep these items in your carry-on baggage. Do not put them in your checked luggage.

The following are required documents for travel and re-enter into the United States:

  1. Valid passport
  2. Valid visa (see below for exceptions)
  3. Valid I-20/DS-2019 and valid travel signature. The signature on the I-20 must be less than one year old on the date that you are returning to the U.S. If you are under OPT, the travel signature must be less than 6 months old on the date that you are returning to the U.S. For J-1 students, the travel signature on the DS-2019 will have a "valid thru" date.  If you need one, you can obtain a new travel signature by submitting an online request.   Please only request a travel signature if your current one will be expired at the time of re-entry, otherwise we may deny your request.
  4. EAD card if you are on OPT

If you are on OPT, you should also bring proof of your employment (if you already have a job) or proof of your job search (if you are unemployed at the time of travel).


Other recommended documents for F-1 and J-1 students wishing to re-enter the US: proof of financial support, Fordham University contact information, proof of your acceptance into Fordham and that you are a continuing Fordham student (such as an acceptance letter and/or your next semester's course schedule), and proof of your I-901 SEVIS fee payment.


I-20 Requests

If you need an updated travel endorsement, or an I-20 that reflects updated information about your program and/or work authorization, you may submit a New I-20/Travel Signature Request.  All I-20s will be sent to your Fordham email.  You should print and sign the copy we send you -- it is suitable for the purposes of entering the United States.


If you need to extend the Program Dates on your I-20, please submit a Program Extension Request.


If you are a New Student, please visit this page for information on obtaining your initial I-20:


Contiguous Territories and Adjacent Islands

There are a few countries that you can travel to (for less than 30 days) and return to the US with an expired F-1 or J-1 visa. This is called "automatic revalidation." These countries are called the adjacent islands and contiguous territories.

HOWEVER, students from some countries are NOT eligible for automatic revalidation. Please reference this website to see if you are eligible, and for much more important travel information. (Note that the information provided on this website is designed for F-1 students specifically.)

If you have any questions, please contact the OIS before you leave.

The adjacent islands are: Saint Pierre, Miquelon, The Dominican Republic, Haiti, Bermuda, The Bahamas, Barbados, Jamaica, The Winward and Leeward Islands, Trinidad, Martinique, and other British, French, and Netherlands territories or possessions in or bordering on the Caribbean Sea.

I-94 Record

The I-94 records the date and purpose of your entry into the U.S., and the length of time that you are allowed to stay here. As F-1 and J-1 students, you are allowed to stay here for as long as it takes for you to finish your studies. This is called Duration of Status (D/S). MAKE SURE that the Admit Until Date on your I-94 says "D/S"!

The I-94 used to be a small white card that was issued to you each time you entered the U.S., and collected each time you left. Now, the officer at the airport records your entry electronically using your passport, so the I-94 record is now an electronic document.  You can and should go online to obtain your I-94, and you should print a copy for your records.

CBP is the website where you would obtain your I-94. You can obtain your I-94 here.

When entering your information, make sure to enter your name exactly as it appears on your passport. If you are not able to obtain your I-94, try ALL possible combinations of your name.

If you have tried all possible combinations, but cannot obtain your I-94, please contact us.


If you do not have a valid travel signature on your I-20, or you packed it away in your suitcase, ask the border officer for an I-515A form.  This will allow you to enter the country in F-1 status.

However you must come to the OIS immediately to finish process your entry. Your I-94 card will be stamped "F-1" and a date certain, instead of D/S.