Music Degrees and Curriculum
Fordham University offers both a major and minor in Music. Students are encouraged to explore the depths of their talents while pursuing their degree, all while cultivating their critical thinking and analysis skills through a rigorous Liberal Arts education.
At the conclusion of their studies, our majors and minors will:
- Possess strong listening skills, and be able to explain verbally and in prose what they have heard.
- Understand theory fundamentals, including harmony, voice leading, and compositional forms.
- Appreciate music as part of systems of culture that give sounds their meanings.
- Become better performers through experience in faculty-coached ensembles (a requirement for majors).
- Possess strong critical thinking skills and writing skills, applicable both to music and beyond.
No Auditions Required for the Music Major or Minor