What is an Externship
Information Regarding Externships and Compensation
- Externship students are permitted to receive funding in the form of fellowships, grants, and scholarships, as long as the funds are received from a third party source and not directly from the placement organization.
- Externship students are permitted to receive reimbursement for their reasonable out-of pocket expenses related to their fieldwork. Reimbursement is permitted for the following expenses:
- During all semesters: local transportation costs (e.g., subway, parking); and
- During the summer only: the cost of transportation to and from the field placement if it is at a distance from NYC (an “out of town” placement) and for housing and food costs only to the extent they are greater than what they would have been at the student’s home location.
- Eternship students may not receive any other remuneration from a field placement, including wages or salaries.
Contact the Externship ProgramRon Lazebnik
Clinical Associate Professor
Director, J.D. Externship Program
150 West 62nd Street, 9th Floor, New York, NY 10023
Email: [email protected]