Learn more about Tobias's recent research and professional development from the blog post Postcard from Domfront.
Fordham University, Bronx NY: Medieval Studies M. A., August 2015.
Thesis: “The Customs of Romney Marsh: Compromise and Common Interest in Wetland Administration.”
University of Maine, Orono ME: English and History B. A., May 2013, summa cum laude.
Thesis: “ ‘If We Have Lost Our Constitution, Let Us Maintain Our Manners’: Joseph Howe and Nova
Tobias Hrynick is interested in medieval environmental history, especially the power structures involved in wetland drainage.
Publications and Presentations
- “Flowing Power: Cooperative Power Structures in the Customs of Romney Marsh.” Accepted International Congress of Medieval Studies, 2015.
- “Introduction to Omeka: Whether to Jump in, and at Which End.” New York City Digital Humanities Week. February 11, 2015.
- “The Oxford Outremer Map: The Possibilities of Digital Restoration.” Haskins Society Annual Conference. November 7, 2015.
- Micro Essays: “Imagined Saracen Spaces”; “Pilgrimage Sites in the Entrée d’Espagne”; “Trade Routes”; “To be French or to be Italian? Geographic Orientations of the French of Italy”; “Literary Representations of Demography”; and “Human and Natural Components of Place.” Exploring Place in the French of Italy. October, 2015.
- “Digitally Enhancing the Map.” With Rachel Butcher. The Oxford Outremer Map Project. June 15, 2015.
- “Spatial Identification and the Oxford Outremer Map.” The Oxford Outremer Map Project. Fordham Center for Medieval Studies. June 15, 2015.
Fellowships, Honors, and Awards
At Fordham University:
- Graduate Assistantship, 2015/16.
- Presidential Scholarship, Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, 2013/14, 2015/16.
- Graduate Student Association Professional Development Grant, 2015.
- O’Callahan Essay Prize, Center for Medieval Studies, 2015.
- Loomie Prize for best research seminar paper, Department of History, 2015.
- Loyola Fellowship, Graduate School or Arts and Sciences, Fordham University 2013/14.
At the University of Maine:
- Member Phi Beta Kappa
- University of Maine Dean’s List, 2009-2013.
- University of Maine Top Scholar Award, 2009/10-2012/13
- Roger B. Hill Prize for academic performance in the Department of History, 2012 and 2013
- Charles J. Dunn Trust Award for academic performance in the History Department, 2013
- Grenfell Poetry Prize winner, University of Maine, 2011 and 2013