Upcoming Kelly Competition
The Judge Paul Joseph Kelly, Jr. Invitational Trial Competition is hosted by Fordham University School of Law. This year’s competition will take place from Friday, November 15, 2019 to Sunday, November 17, 2019 at Fordham University School of Law and in the Southern District of New York.
We are thrilled to announce that the Kelly Competition is expanding this year! This year’s competition will include three preliminary rounds for all teams. The tentative schedule is as follows:
- Friday, November 15th: A small welcome reception and the first preliminary round at Fordham University School of Law.
- Saturday, November 16th: The second and third preliminary rounds at the Southern District of New York Federal Courthouse, followed by a reception for all competitors and coaches.
- Sunday, November 17th: The semifinals and final round at the Southern District of New York Federal Courthouse.
Teams consist of two students who prepare both sides of a federal criminal problem. Each team will advocate both sides of the case at least once. The advocate who delivers the opening statement for the prosecution will deliver the closing argument for the defense, and the advocate who delivers the closing argument for the prosecution will deliver the opening argument for the defense. All witnesses will be provided by Fordham University, and each team will have 15 minutes to prepare their side’s witnesses prior to each round. Four teams will advance to a semi-final round on Sunday morning, and two teams will advance to the final round on Sunday afternoon.
Past Kelly Competition Champions include:
- 2018: Temple University Beasley School of Law
- 2017, Oct. 2014, Feb. 2014, 2011: Georgetown University Law Center
- 2016: Yale
- 2015: Brooklyn Law School
- 2012: Drexel
Questions and concerns may be directed to Annette Favetta and Lauren Scully, the 2019-2020 Kelly Competition Editors, at firstname.lastname@example.org.