Required Marriage Documents
The Archdiocese of New York requires the following in order to have a Roman Catholic marriage at the Fordham University Church. You are responsible for obtaining the documents. Each, with the exception of the civil marriage license, must be completed and returned to the Office of Campus Ministry at least two months before the scheduled date of the ceremony. The priest or deacon who is to officiate at your wedding may help you prepare and assemble these documents. The couple must send these completed documents to the Office of Campus Ministry at least two months prior to the wedding. Having proper documentation ensures that the sacrament of marriage may be performed.
- An updated original Baptismal Certificate for both the bride and groom. This certificate must be secured no more than six months prior to the wedding and can be obtained by calling or writing the parish of your baptism. It must be stamped with the seal of the parish and dated within six months of the wedding. If you are a baptized non-Catholic and a certificate can be obtained, please do so.
- Catholics must obtain updated First Communion and Confirmation data from the parish where sacraments were celebrated. This documentation must show the date of reception of these sacramants, be stamped with the seal of the parish and be dated within six months of the wedding.
- A letter from either the bride or groom's pastor giving permission for the wedding to take place at the Fordham University Church. A "Permission to Marry" form is included in Couple's Portfolio email.
- A civil marriage license, which should be brought to the rehearsal. The marriage license must be obtained from the State of New York within 60 days prior to the marriage.
- A Pre-Nuptial Interview (PNI) form completed by the priest or deacon officiating at the marriage or by your parish priest. We will send this form to the officiating priest or deacon. This form must be returned to the Office of Campus Ministry when completed--no later than two months before the date of the marriage.
- A certificate, or its copy, stating that you both have attended an approved marriage preparation program (Pre-Cana). Participation in such a program is required, and information concerning program availability within the Archdiocese of New York can be obtained directly from the Archdiocese of New York or by calling 212-371-1000.
- If there has been a previous marriage, a death certificate or a "Declaration of Nullity" must be obtained.
- If either the bride or groom is under 21 years of age, a letter from a pastor, parent or other relative stating that you are "free to marry" must be obtained.