Blackboard for Students
Fordham's Blackboard Learn is Fordham University's virtual learning environment and learning management system.
10 Things to Know about Blackboard
- To access Fordham Blackboard, log in to fordham.edu > My Apps > Global Apps > Blackboard. Or, go directly to Fordham's Blackboard portal.
- Courses may appear on Blackboard at least one week before the start of the new semester.
- Registered students are automatically added to Blackboard courses. You cannot enroll/unenroll yourself from a Blackboard course.
- You can view your course on Blackboard when your instructor has made it available. If you cannot see your course listed, please contact your instructor to find out if Blackboard will be used for the course, and if so, when it will be available.
- For best results when using Blackboard, make sure you are using the latest versions of Firefox, Google Chrome, or Safari.
- Use Blackboard Ally to review course content for accessibility and offers conversion options and instructions
- Working with Common Third Party File Types.
- If you cannot open your documents, you will need to install a document reader, such as Acrobat Reader. You can access and download Microsoft Office through the Fordham.edu portal. If you need assistance, please contact the IT Service Desk at 718-817-3999.
- When submitting assignments, do not have the document open on your computer. Save the document, close the application, and then upload it to Blackboard.
Courses listed as unavailable are not accessible from your "My Courses" list. This is because the instructor has not made their course available.
Instructors are responsible for making their courses available, please contact your instructor directly and ask them to make the course available.
**NOTE: Most instructors do not make their course available until the start of the semester, so you should wait until then to contact them.**
Courses may appear on Blackboard at least one week before the start of the new semester.
Registered students are automatically added to Blackboard courses. You cannot enroll / unenroll yourself from a Blackboard course.
You can view your course on Blackboard when your instructor has made it available. If you cannot see your course listed, please contact your instructor to find out if Blackboard will be used for the course, and if so, when it will be available.
You can modify which courses are listed at the top of your Courses page by clicking on the star icon (to the right of the course).
Instructors are responsible for managing their blackboard course rosters. If your instructor is using a different course shell on Blackboard than what you are already enrolled in, please ask your instructor to be enrolled in that Blackboard course.
It is up to the discretion of your instructor, please contact your instructor for further assistance.
Students need to be registered for a course in Banner, even if you are auditing. On our end, we do not see that you have registered to audit any classes.
Please contact your Dean and ask them to send us an email saying that you are registered to audit the course and please have them update the information in Banner, so that your Blackboard account will generate.
As soon as you are officially registered as auditing the course, then you will be in the system and your Blackboard account will generate within 4 - 6 hours.
To receive a daily digest of notifications that there are new posts in the Discussion Board, go to your Activity Stream and click on the gear icon on the top right of the screen.
Click on the email icon and select "New discussion messages" and then click "Save."