Alumni and Friends Privacy Notice
Fordham University is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. Fordham wants to provide you with a summary of how the personal information that you provide is acquired, processed, shared, protected, retained, and destroyed. This Alumni and Friends Privacy Notice (Privacy Notice) contains relevant information regarding Fordham’s privacy practices and the options we offer our alumni and friends concerning their personal information. If you have any questions regarding this Privacy Notice or any of our related privacy policies, contact [email protected]. This Privacy Notice may be amended without further notice. Any amendments to this Privacy Notice will be reflected on this page.
The Basis for Processing Your Personal Information
We may process your personal information when we have a lawful basis or, where necessary, explicit consent. Lawful basis for processing your personal information includes when necessary to assist in achieving our mission, vision, values, and strategic goals and comply with our policies and legal obligations. We may use your personal information to:
- Market, communicate, fundraise, or for networking and volunteer opportunities
- Monitor and evaluate the performance and effectiveness of Fordham
- Maintain and improve the academic, corporate, financial, and human resource management of the University
- Promote equality and diversity throughout Fordham
- Seek advice on our legal rights and obligations and to identify, contact, or bring legal action or defend and protect Fordham against someone who may be causing injury to or interference with (either intentionally or unintentionally) our rights or property, students, faculty, visitors to the University, or anyone else who could be harmed by such activities, or
- Comply with legal and regulatory requirements
When Do We Collect Your Personal Information?
Fordham collects personal information when you:
- Are graduating from one of our programs
- Complete graduation-related processes and procedures
- Register for an alumni event, make inquiries, share what is going on in your life
- Donate to Fordham
- Communicate with us by telephone, email, or via our website
- Voluntarily provide information to third parties with whom we partner, or
- Share public information
Fordham is not responsible for the privacy practices of third parties with whom we do not partner. You are encouraged to review the privacy practices of each third-party with whom you choose to share your personal information. Fordham may combine the personal information you provide to us with information available from external sources to gain updated contact information and a better understanding of our alumni and friends to improve our fundraising methods, products, and services.
Fordham employs cookies and other methods to collect background information about you when you use our website, including your IP address, date, and time of connection, operating system, browser type, and the web pages you visit.
The Types of Personal Information We Collect
We may collect the following types of personal information about you:
- Your name and contact information, such as your address, email address, telephone number, date of birth, tax identification number, or passport number
- Information relating to your education and employment history, or
- Information about your family or personal circumstances
This is not intended to be an exhaustive list, and Fordham reserves the right to collect additional information.
Sharing Your Personal Information with Others
We may share your personal information with certain third parties for the basis of processing your personal information and rely on the basis for processing as set out above. Fordham will not share your personal information with certain third parties at your request. Please refer to Your Rights Concerning Your Personal Information section for more details.
Changes to Your Personal Information
Please let us know about any changes to the personal information you have voluntarily provided to us. This is particularly important concerning your contact details. Contact the Office of Alumni Relations at [email protected] or call 212-636-6520 for alumni relations matters or Enrollment Services at [email protected] for student record-related matters.
How Long Do We Keep Your Personal Information?
We will retain your personal information in accordance with our Records Retention and Disposal Policy.
Your Rights Concerning Your Personal Information
The individual rights described below are not absolute. We reserve the right to refuse requests where certain exceptions apply. Absent any applicable exception, you have the right to:
- Obtain access to the personal information that we hold about you
- Object on grounds relating to your particular situation to our processing activities where you feel they have a disproportionate impact on your interests, rights, and freedoms
- Request to review, revise, correct, or update any of the personal information we may have about you if you believe that the personal information that we possess is, or has become, incorrect or is incomplete
- Restrict the processing activities related to your personal information and, where our processing is based on your consent, withdraw that consent, without affecting the lawfulness of our processing based on consent before its withdrawal
- Have your personal information erased
- Have personal information, which you have voluntarily provided to us, produced in a structured, commonly used, including to transmit it to another party; and
- Opt-out of marketing communication
Data Privacy Protection
Fordham takes reasonable technical and physical measures to protect the confidentiality of your personal information, unauthorized access, and disclosure.
Privacy Concern Handling Process
Fordham is committed to resolving complaints about your privacy and our processing of your personal information. If you have an inquiry or complaint regarding this Privacy Notice, you should email [email protected].