Anthony J. Dreyer
Adjunct Professor of Law
Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP
4 Times Square
New York, New York 10036
Mr. Dreyer is a Partner with the law firm of Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP. His practice concentrates on all aspects of intellectual property law and sports law.
Mr. Dreyer has handled a variety of intellectual property matters, including those involving trademark, trade dress, copyright, rights of privacy and publicity, unfair competition, trade secrets and false advertising. He has counseled clients on the protection of their intellectual property rights in the United States and abroad. He has litigated disputes on behalf of the National Basketball Association involving the intellectual property rights of the NBA and its teams. Most recently, he successfully represented the Fresh Del Monte Group in several matters involving infringement of its trademark rights abroad, including in Africa, Europe and the Middle East. He also recently secured preliminary and permanent injunctive relief on behalf of Virgin Mobile USA in a series of lawsuits challenging the resale of Virgin Mobile wireless handsets. He currently represents an amicus challenging a court ruling that the unauthorized use of Major League Baseball players' names and statistics did not violate the players' right of publicity.
In addition, Mr. Dreyer has extensive experience counseling professional sports leagues and teams on a variety of sports law matters. He has litigated player discipline and salary disputes on behalf of the NBA, the National Hockey League and teams in both leagues. On behalf of the NBA and its member teams, Mr. Dreyer has successfully arbitrated several disputes involving disability insurance coverage for professional athletes. Mr. Dreyer has also provided advice to the United States Tennis Association in connection with the United States Open and United States Open Series tennis tournaments.
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Reena Raggi: Circuit Judge, United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit (2002-2003); District Judge, Eastern District of New York (1998-1999)
- Co-Chair, Sports Law Committee, Entertainment, Arts & Sports Law Section, New York State Bar Association (2005-present)
- Member, Committee on Sports Law, Association of the Bar of the City of New York (2003-2006; 2007-Present)
- Served as Special Deputy Corporation Counsel, City of New York, 2002
- Served as Managing Editor, Fordham Law Review, 1996-97