- Professor of Law, Fordham University (2010-present)
- Associate Professor of Law, Fordham University (2003-2010)
- National Academy of Education/Spencer Foundation Postdoctoral Fellow (2006-2007)
- Law Clerk, Associate Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Supreme Court of the United States (2001-2002)
- Law Clerk, Judge Douglas H. Ginsburg, United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit (2000-2001)
- Schoolhouse in the Cloud (forthcoming, Oxford University Press).
- Education in Virtual Environments, in The Oxford Handbook of U.S. Education Law (Kristine Bowman ed., Oxford University Press forthcoming 2020).
- State Regulation of Curriculum in Private Religious Schools: A Constitutional Analysis, in Yeshivas versus the State of New York: A Case Study in Religious Liberty in Education (Jay Greene & Jason Bedrick eds., Rowman & Littlefield forthcoming 2020).
- School Funding under the Neutrality Principle: Notes on a Post-Espinoza Future, 4 Fordham Law Review Online __ (forthcoming 2020).
- Unbundling School, 5 Education Law and Policy Rev. 1 (2019).
- The Tactics of Title IX, 13 Journal of School Choice 438 (2019) (reviewing R. Shep Melnick, The Transformation of Title IX: Regulating Gender Equality in Education (2018)).
- Deconstitutionalizing Dewey, 13 Fla. Int’l. U. L. Rev. 765 (2019).
- Agencies’ Obligation to Interpret the Statute, 69 Vanderbilt L. Rev. 1231 (2016).
- Homeschooling, Virtual Schools, and the Erosion of the Public/Private Binary, 10 Journal of School Choice 297 (2016).
- Local Government as a Choice of Agency Form, 77 Ohio State L.J. 423 (2016).
- Test Unrest, 20 CityLaw 1 (2015).
- Chevron and Deference in State Administrative Law, 82 Fordham L. Rev. 555 (2014)
- What We Disagree About When We Disagree About School Choice (response), Iowa Law Bulletin 99 Iowa L. Rev. Bulletin 49 (2014)
- Charter Schools, The Establishment Clause, and the Neoliberal Turn in Public Education, 34 Cardozo L. Rev. 1163 (2013)
- Religious Consumers and Institutional Challenges to American Public Schools, 1 Journal of Law, Religion, and State 180 (2012)
- Changing the Conversation in Education Law: Political Geography and Virtual Schooling, 41 Journal of Law and Education 337 (2012)
- Obama's "Czars" for Domestic Policy and the Law of the White House Staff 79 Fordham Law Review 2577 (2011)
- The School District Boundary Problem, 42 Urban L. 495 (2010).
- Local Government without Tiebout, 41 Urban L. 93 (2009).
- School Choice and States' Duty to Support 'Public' Schools, 48 Boston College L. Rev. 909 (2007).
- The Role of Empirical Research in Informing Debates about the Constitutionality of School Choice, 1 J. School Choice 123 (2006).
- The Last Wave: The Rise of the Contingent School District. 84 North Carolina L. Rev. 857 (2006).
- Legislating Accountability: Standards, Sanctions, and School District Reform. 46 William & Mary L. Rev. 1655 (2005).
- Constitutional Partnerships and the States. 73 Fordham L. Rev. 1439 (2005).
- Disestablishing Local School Districts as a Remedy for Educational Inadequacy. 99 Colum. L. Rev. 1830 (1999).
- The Federal Role in Crime Control (with John J. DiIulio, Jr. and Steven K. Smith), in Crime (James Q. Wilson and Joan Petersilia eds., ICS Press 1995).
- PhD, Princeton University (Public Affairs, 2004)
- JD, Columbia University (2000)
- AB, Harvard College (1988)