Apply for a Graduate PLUS Loan
We suggest you utilize your Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan eligibility before requesting a Graduate PLUS Loan. The Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan has a lower interest rate and also carries a lower origination fee
What You Need to Know Before Applying
- Fordham’s academic year begins with the fall term and ends with the summer term.
- If you already have a Graduate PLUS Loan in place for this academic year and would like to increase it, use our Graduate PLUS Loan Request form.
- The application process includes a credit check to ensure the student does not have an adverse credit history.
What You Need to Know When Applying
Selecting your Loan Period
- 09/2022 to 12/2022 - one disbursement at the beginning of the fall term.
- 09/2022 to 05/2023- even disbursements across the fall and spring terms
- 09/2022 to 08/2023 - even disbursements across the fall, spring, and summer terms
- 01/2023 to 05/2023 - one disbursement at the beginning of the spring term.
Requesting The Amount of Your Loan
- Use the Cost of Attendance sidebar to help determine how much you should borrow.
- There is a 4.228% origination fee deducted from each loan disbursement. To calculate the total loan amount you should request, divide the amount you need by 0.95772.
- For example: if you need $8,000 to cover your expenses, you should request $8,353 ($8,000/0.95772).
- We suggest requesting a specific loan amount, however, you also have the option of selecting “unknown” or “maximum” as your loan amount.
- If you select either “unknown” or “maximum” as your loan amount, please provide Fordham with a specific loan amount using our Graduate PLUS Loan Request form.
- Use our PLUS Loan calculator (below) to help determine how much you should request to borrow.
- Get an Endorser. An endorser is someone who agrees to repay the Graduate PLUS Loan if you do not repay it.
- Appeal your credit decision by documenting extenuating circumstances
** If you are subsequently approved after using one of these options you must complete PLUS Credit Counseling before your loan will disburse.