Blackboard for Students
10 Things to Know about Blackboard
- Access Fordham Blackboard through My.Fordham.edu, the University Portal. After logging in with your AccessIT ID and password, click on the Blackboard icon on the top right of the page.
- Courses may appear on Blackboard at least one week before the start of the new semester.
- Registered students are automatically added to Blackboard courses. You cannot enroll/unenroll yourself from a Blackboard course.
- You can view your course on Blackboard when your instructor has made it available. If you cannot see your course listed, please contact your instructor to find out if Blackboard will be used for the course, and if so, when it will be available.
- You can modify which courses are listed in your My Courses module.
- On the My Courses module heading, click on the gear icon.
- In the first column of listed courses, uncheck the boxes of courses you do not want displayed.
- Click Submit to save the changes.
- For best results when using Blackboard, make sure you are using the latest versions of Firefox, Google Chrome, or Safari.
- Use the correct plugins. On the top right of the Blackboard welcome page, click the Test Your Browser button for a list of plugins you need to install to use Blackboard.
- Any plugin with a red X needs to be downloaded to your computer to view or listen to media on Blackboard.
- Click on Common Third Party File Types. If you cannot open any of these documents, you will need to install a document reader, such as Microsoft Office or Apache's OpenOffice.
- When assignments need to be uploaded to Blackboard, do not upload any files that have spaces or special characters in them, as your instructor will not be able to open the file. File names can only use numbers and letters.
- Avoid using spaces in file names. Instead, use an underscore. For example, My_Paper.
- Do not use special characters such as # or , or . in the file name before the .doc or .pdf extension.
- Have a specific question about Blackboard? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Provide your username, the full course ID and course section number.
- Need technical support? Contact IT Customer Care.