Tanya K. Hernández
Research and Teaching Areas
Discrimination; Latin America/Latin American Law; Employment; Trust and Wills; Critical Race Theory, The Science of Implicit Bias: New Pathways to Social Justice
- Book, Multiracials and Civil Rights: Mixed-Race Stories of Discrimination (forthcoming from NYU Press)
- Book Chapter, “Latino Anti-Black Bias and the Census Categorization of Latinos: Race, Ethnicity or Other?” in the book Anti-Blackness, eds. João Costa Vargas & Moon-Kie Jung (under review with Duke University Press)
- Book Chapter, "Race and The Law in Latin America," in Routledge Handbook of Afro-Latin American Politics" eds. Kwame Dixon & Ollie Johnson (forthcoming from Routledge)
- Book Chapter, "Law and Race in Latin America," in Handbook of Law and Society in Latin America, eds. Tatiana Alfonso, Karina Ansolabehere, and Rachel Sieder (forthcoming from Routledge)
- Book Chapter, "Constitutional Controversies: Comparing Constitutions in Latin America regarding Race Discrimination," in Oxford Handbook of Constitutional Law in Latin America, eds. Roberto Gargarella and Conrado Hubner Mendes (forthcoming from Oxford University Press)
- Book Chapter, "El Derecho a la Igualdad y a la No Discriminación" in "Afrodescendientes e Inclusión Social: Más Equidad, Más Derechos" (forthcoming from the Organization of American States)
- Book Chapter, "The limits of U.S. racial equality with a Latin American constitutional 'right to work' - a thought experiment," in Constitutionalism in the Americas, eds. Colin Crawford and Daniel Bonilla Maldonado (Edward Elgar pub 2018) pp 258-286
- Symposium Remarks, "Advocacy in Ideas: Legal Education and Social Movements," 36.1 Columbia Journal of Gender and Law 40- 60 (2018)
- Racially-Mixed Personal Identity Equality, 15 Law, Culture and the Humanities 1-11 (2017) http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/1743872117699894.
- Book Chapter, "Michael Olivas, the Critical Race Theory Lat-Crit Activist Scholar," in Law professor and accidental historian : the scholarship of Michael A. Olivas, 235-242. edited by Ediberto Roman (Durham: Carolina Academic Press, 2017)
- Subordinação racial no Brasil e na América Latina: o papel do Estado, o Direito Costumeiro e a Nova Resposta dos Direitos Civis" (Salvador: Editora UFBA 2017) (Federal University of Bahia Press) Direct link to book here/Leia a obra completa aqui: http://bit.ly/2odC65o
- Book Chapter, "Afro-Latinos" in Keywords for Latina/o Studies, 7-8 ed. Deborah R. Vargas, Nancy Raquel Mirabal, and Lawrence La Fountain-Stokes (NYU Press 2017)
- Book Chapter, "Latino - Black Inter-Ethnic Conflict: Segregated Together with "Fair" Housing," in Minority Relations: Intergroup Conflict and Cooperation, 219-49 eds. Greg Robinson & Robert S. Chang (Jackson: University Press of Mississippi, 2016)
- Envisioning the United States in the Latin American myth of ‘racial democracy mestizaje,’ 11(2) Latin American and Caribbean Ethnic Studies (2016) 189-205
- Book Chapter, "Multiracial in the Workplace: A New Kind of Discrimination?" In Gender, Race and Ethnicity, in the Workplace: Emerging Issues and Enduring Challenges, 3-25 ed. Margaret Foegen Karsten (Santa Barbara: ABC-CLIO, 2016)
- Book Chapter, "Making Implicit Bias Research Relevant in Employment Discrimination Cases," in volume Title VII of the Civil Rights Act After 50 Years: Proceedings of the New York University 67th Annual Conference on Labor, 247-272 (LexisNexis Matthew Bender, 2015).
- Colorism and the Law in Latin America -Global Perspectives on Colorism Conference Remarks, 14 Wash. U. Global Stud. L. Rev. 683-693 (2015).
- One Path for 'Post-Racial' Employment Discrimination Cases -- The Implicit Association Test Research as Social Framework Evidence, 32 Journal of Law & Inequality 307-44 (2014)
- Sotomayor’s Supreme Court Race Jurisprudence: “Fidelity to the Law,” Yale L.J. Forum (Mar. 24, 2014), http://yalelawjournal.org/forum/sotomayors-supreme-court-race-jurisprudence.
- Defending Affirmative Action: An International Legal Response, in vol. 29 Civil Rights Litigation and Attorney Fees Annual Handbook (eds. Steven Saltzman & Cheryl I. Harris 2013).
- Racial Subordination in Latin America: The Role of the State, Customary Law and the New Civil Rights Response (Cambridge Univ. Press, 2013) (https://sites.google.com/site/racisminlatamerica/)
La subordinación racial en Latinoamérica: El papel del Estado, el derecho consuetudinario y la nueva respuesta de los derechos civiles (Siglo del Hombre Editores, Ediciones Uniandes, Colección Nuevo Pensamiento Jurídico, Bogotá Colombia, 2013) (http://www.siglodelhombre.com/search.asp).
- The Value of Intersectional Comparative Analysis to the ‘Post-Racial’ Future of Critical Race Theory: A Brazil – U.S. Comparative Case Study, 43 Ct. L. Rev. 1407-1437 (2011).
- HATE SPEECH AND THE LANGUAGE OF RACISM IN LATIN AMERICA: A LENS FOR RECONSIDERING GLOBAL HATE SPEECH RESTRICTIONS AND LEGISLATION MODELS, 32 U. Penn. J. Int'l Law 805-841 (2011) (http://scholarship.law.upenn.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1103&context=jil).
- "What Not to Wear" -- Race and Unwelcomeness in Sexual Harassment Law: The Story of Meritor Savings Bank v. Vinson, in Women and the Law Stories 277-306 (2010 Foundation Press book chapter, Elizabeth Schneider & Stephanie Wildman eds.).
- Afro-Latin@s and the Latino Workplace, in The Afro-Latin@ Reader: History and Culture in the United States 520-526 (2010 Duke Univ. Press book chapter, Juan Flores & Miriam Jimenez Roman, eds.).
- Employment Discrimination in the Ethnically Diverse Workplace, Judges J., vol. 49, no. 4, Fall 2010, at 33.
- Latinos at Work: When Color Discrimination Involves More Than Color, in Shades of Difference: Why Skin Color Matters 236-244 (2009 Stanford Univ. Press book chapter, Evelyn Nakano Glenn, ed.).
- European Multiculturalism as Compared to Diversity in the United States: A View from the Employment Discrimination Context, in Multiculturalisms: Different Meanings and Perspectives of Multiculturalism in a Global World (2009 book chapter from Stampfli Press, Barbara Pozzo, ed.).
- Latino Inter-Ethnic Employment Discrimination and the “Diversity” Defense, 42 Harvard Civil Rights Civil Liberties Law Review 259-316 (2007) (lead article of issue 2) (available at http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/orgs/crcl/vol42_2/CRCL422.pdf.).
- Latino Anti-Black Violence in Los Angeles: Not “Made in the USA,” 13 Harvard Journal African American Public Policy 37-40 (2007).
- A Critical Race Feminism Empirical Research Project: Sexual Harassment & The Internal Complaints Black Box, 39 U.C. Davis L. Rev. 1235-1303 (2006). Available online at: http://ir.lawnet.fordham.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1020&context=faculty_scholarship.
- The Intersectionality of Lived Experience and Anti-Discrimination Empirical Research, in Handbook of Employment Discrimination Research: Rights and Realities 325-335 (Laura Beth Nielsen & Robert L. Nelson eds., 2005 American Bar Foundation & Kluwer Academic Publishing) (book chapter).
- Sex in the [Foreign] City: Commodification and the Female Sex Tourist, in Rethinking Commodification: Cases and Readings in Law and Culture 222-242 (Joan Williams & Martha Ertman eds., NYU Press 2005) (book chapter).
- To Be Brown in Brazil: Education & Segregation Latin American Style, 29 N.Y.U. Rev. L. & Soc. Change 683-717 (2004-05). Available online at: http://ir.lawnet.fordham.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1009&context=faculty_scholarship.
- Afro-Mexicans and the Chicano Movement: The Unknown Story – A Review of Ian F. Haney Lopez’s “Racism on Trial: The Chicano Fight for Justice,” 92 Cal. L. Rev. 1537-1551 (2004). Available online at: http://www.jstor.org/pss/3481424.
- A Comparative Assessment of Racial Harassment in the Americas, 8 Employee Rights & Employment Policy Journal 169-179 (2004).
- The Racism of Sexual Harassment, in Directions in Sexual Harassment Law 479-95 (Catharine MacKinnon & Reva Siegel eds., 2004 Yale Univ. Press) (book chapter).
- Comparative Judging of Civil Rights: A Transnational Critical Race Theory Approach, 63 La. L. Rev. 875-886 (2003).
- “Too Black to Be Latino/a:” Blackness and Blacks as Foreigners in Latino Studies, 1 Latino Studies 152-159 (2003). Available online at: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/lst/journal/v1/n1/index.html.
- Multiracial Matrix: The Role of Race Ideology in the Enforcement of Anti-Discrimination Laws, a United States – Latin America Comparison, 87 Cornell Law Review 1093-1176 (2002) (lead article of issue 5). Available online at: http://scholarship.law.cornell.edu/clr/vol87/iss5/1/.
- Judge A. Leon Higginbotham, Jr. as the Model of Scholarly Activism: The Lens of Racial History and Comparative Race Relations For Illuminating the Path to Racial Equality, 20 Yale Law & Policy Review 331-339 (2002).
- The Buena Vista Social Club: The Racial Politics of Nostalgia, in Latina/o Popular Culture 61-72 (NYU Press 2002) (book chapter).
- Sexual Harassment and Racial Disparity: The Mutual Construction of Race and Gender, 4 U. Iowa J. of Gender, Race & Justice 183-224 (2001) (reprinted in Katharine T. Bartlett, Angela P. Harris, Deborah L. Rhode, Gender and Law: Theory, Doctrine, Commentary 1205 (3d edition 2002).
- An Exploration of the Efficacy of Class-Based Approaches to Racial Justice: The Cuban Context, 33 U.C. Davis L. Rev. 1135-1171 (2000). Available online at: http://ir.lawnet.fordham.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1019&context=faculty_scholarship.
- Multiracial Discourse: Racial Classifications in an Era of Color-Blind Jurisprudence, 57 Md. L. Rev. 97-173 (1998) (reprinted in Mixed Race America and the Law: A Reader 205-211 (Kevin Johnson ed., NYU Press 2002), and in Juan F. Perea & Richard Delgado, Race and Races: Cases and Resources for a Diverse America 69 (2000)).
- Construction of Race and Class Buffers in the Structure of Immigration Controls and Laws , 76 Or. L. Rev. 731-764 (1997) (reprinted in Timothy Davis et al., A Reader on Race, Civil Rights, and American Law: A Multiracial Approach (2001)).
- Note, Bias Crime Statutes: The Struggle Against Unconscious Racism in the Prosecution of Racially-Motivated Violence, 99 Yale L.J. 845-864 (1990) (cited in State v. Mitchell,
169 Wis.2d 153, 485 N.W.2d 807, 61 USLW 2035, Wis., June 23, 1992 (NO. 90-2474-CR).
- Yale Law School, JD 1990
Yale Law Journal, Note Topics Editor
- Brown University, AB, Sociology 1986
- Federal University of Bahia, study-abroad program 1985