Appointment as a faculty member is a contract for full-time engagement in faculty responsibilities during the academic year. Responsibilities of the faculty include the following:
- Satisfactory fulfillment of teaching duties in assigned courses or their equivalents;
- Observance of academic regulations concerning the holding of classes, examinations, grades, etc.;
- The preparation, proctoring, and grading of student examinations;
- The direction, reading, and evaluation of student papers, reports, theses, and dissertations, where such has been the practice in the school, division, or department;
- Academic counseling and guidance of students (a faculty member is expected to maintain scheduled office hours as required and be familiar with academic regulations and the curriculum of the school);
- Involvement in significant scholarly research;
- Scholarly publication;
- Participation in learned societies and professional organizations;
- Participation in University, school, division, and department meetings, convocations, and commencements;
- Service on committees (see University Statutes §4-06);
- Cooperation in the observance of University regulations.
Please note that adjunct faculty and graduate student instructors are responsible for items 1, 2, 3, and 11.