10.4 Policy on Sexual Harassment*
Sexual harassment will not be tolerated in the University community. It subverts the mission of the University and threatens the well-being, educational experiences, and careers of students, faculty, and staff. It is especially threatening in the context of a teacher-student or supervisor-subordinate relationship, in that it can exploit the power inherent in the position of teacher or supervisor regarding grades, recommendations, wage status, or promotion. However, sexual harassment can also occur by subordinates against supervisors, by those of equal status, or by students, thereby creating an environment that is intimidating or offensive in a variety of settings.
In the event that a student or a faculty member feels that he or she has been the victim of sexual harassment, he or she should contact the following individuals:
For incidents between students
Associate Vice President for Student Affairs
Assistant Vice President and Dean of Students at Rose Hill
Assistant Vice President and Dean of Students at Lincoln Center
Please note: Students at the Westchester campus should contact Dean Eldredge.
Copies of the University’s Sexual Harassment Policy, which contains detailed information on the procedures that are to be followed in reporting cases of sexual harassment, may be obtained from the Office of Legal Counsel in Cunniffe House 111, 718-817-3110; or from Human Resources in Faculty Memorial Hall 506, 718-817-4931. This information is also published in the Student Handbook and on the University website.
In addition, any individual with supervisory authority who obtains knowledge of an incident of sexual harassment occurring is required to immediately advise the director of institutional equity and compliance if the incident is workplace related, or the dean of students (Rose Hill, Lincoln Center) if the incident is between students.
* Due to changing legal guidelines, please refer to the Title IX/Institutional Equity and Compliance web page at fordham.edu/ title_ix for Fordham’s most up-to-date policies on nondiscrimination, affirmative action, and sexual harassment. Please contact the Office of Institutional Equity and Compliance directly for a hard copy.
Pages in University Policies
- 10.1 Non-Discrimination Policy*
- 10.2 Statement on Academic Rights and Responsibilities
- 10.3 Affirmative Action Policy*
- 10.4 Policy on Sexual Harassment*
- 10.5 Education Records Policy
- 10.6 Services for Students with Disabilities
- 10.7 Weather-Related Cancellations
- 10.8 What To Do In An Emergency: The Emergency Management Plan