The following safety tips are offered to you to help protect yourself from crime:
Know Your Environment
- Emergency blue-light phones are located outdoors throughout the Rose Hill campus and on the plaza at Lincoln Center. Emergency floor phones are located on each floor of the Law School and Lowenstein Building at the Lincoln Center campus. Emergency phones go directly to public safety.
- Dial x2222 to reach the Rose Hill Department of Public Safety, x6076 to reach the Lincoln Center public safety desk, and x3001 to reach 400 Westchester public safety.
- Notify the Department of Public Safety of anything suspicious - we will gladly respond and investigate.
- Stay in well-lit areas.
- Know where to obtain help when you need it.
- Keep items left in your car inside your locked, automobile trunk, out of view.
- Keep all valuables under your direct control - do not leave them unattended.
Safety in Numbers
- Walk with a friend.
- Use the Ram Van for trips between Manhattan and the Bronx.
- Use Metro-North to the east side of Manhattan, Westchester, Putnam, and Dutchess counties and Connecticut.
- Avoid isolated train and bus stops.
Plan What You Will Do if Confronted by an Assailant
- Be realistic about your ability to protect yourself.
- An immediate reaction of yelling or screaming may be helpful.
- You are worth more than all the money or possessions you may have. Those items may be replaced.
- Every emergency situation is different. Only you can decide what course of action is appropriate.
- Keep all the doors and windows locked.
- Do not allow or encourage unauthorized visitors in your hall, room, or suite.
- Know the location of fire extinguishers and alarms.
- Follow campus rules about candles, incense, smoking, etc.
- Mark all equipment using an identifier, and keep a record of all serial numbers.
- Use a cable locking device to secure computers, television sets, VCRs, etc.
If a Crime does Occur
If a crime does occur on campus or in off-campus housing, immediately notify public safety. Any delay in reporting an incident decreases the chances of apprehending the suspect. The Department of Public Safety maintains a close working relationship with local police precincts and will assist you in every way possible if you become the victim of a crime.
Emergency Telephone Numbers
Emergency Information Lines
Lincoln Center (20th Precinct): 212-580-6411
Rose Hill (48th Precinct): 718-299-3900
Rose Hill (52th Precinct): 718-220-5811
Westchester (Harrison PD): 914-967-5110
Emergency Only: 911
Public Safety (TH Annex): 718-817-2222
F.U.E.M.S. (Emergency): 718-817-2222
Off-Campus Shuttle (TH Annex): 718-817-2222
Public Safety Supervisor: 212-636-6076
Main Public Safety Desk (LL Lobby): 212-636-6075
Public Safety Desk (Law): 212-636-6975
Public Safety Desk (McMahon Hall): 212-636-7111/7112
Public Safety Supervisor: 914-367-3001
Fire safety and prevention
Every member of the University community has an obligation to be prepared for emergencies. It is important for all resident students to familiarize themselves with the location and use of fire extinguishers, fire alarm boxes, emergency exit routes, and alternative exits. At the very moment a fire alarm sounds, the building must be evacuated in an orderly manner. Students may wish to keep a coat, a pair of shoes, and a flashlight readily available for such emergencies.