Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Admitted Students

I've been admitted. What do I do next?

Congratulations on your admission to Fordham Law School! Please visit our webpage for admitted students to see the steps you must take to accept our offer of admission. Carefully review each step to follow under the link for "Next Steps." In addition, check the "Orientation" page frequently for the most up to date information and schedule.

LLM Students: Admitted Students Page

MSL Students: Admitted Students Page

How can I receive my Fordham ID Number?

If you are a new student, your Fordham ID Number will be sent to the primary email address indicated on your application in May for students starting in the fall semester and in September for students starting in the spring semester. If you submit your deposit after this time, your Fordham ID Number will generally be sent within three business days. If you do not receive your Fordham ID Number within this time frame please contact our office. If you have already claimed your Access IT ID you can look up your Fordham ID Number at and select My Pages.

What if I need to miss a few days of Orientation?

Orientation is mandatory for all students. Students are required to attend each full day of orientation during the entire orientation period. The information presented in all orientation sessions is important and cannot be repeated. In addition, because the Introduction to the U.S. Legal System course is offered intensively during orientation, missing even a few days of orientation is the equivalent of missing several weeks of class. Excessive absence from class would disqualify you from sitting for the exam and receiving credit for the course (which is mandatory in your first semester).

Please note that LLM students who have received a JD from an ABA approved law school may attend an abbreviated orientation program. For more details please refer to the LLM Orientation page.

What kind of visa do I need?

Visa consultation for admitted law school graduate students is handled by the Office for International Services (OIS). Only the OIS can advise you on visa related issues. Once you paid your deposit, the OIS will need 1-2 weeks to process your information. Please do not contact the OIS until at least two weeks have passed since you paid your deposit. After you have allowed time for OIS to process your information, you may contact the office by email at

When is the deadline for submitting visa paperwork?

You should begin the process for obtaining a visa as soon as possible after accepting our offer of admission, as students frequently encounter delays. For information on visa interview wait times in your specific country, please visit the U.S. Department of State website.

Where can I find more information about the health insurance plan?

This International Student Health Insurance Plan is administered by the Office for International Services (OIS).

When do I need to submit the immunization forms?

The immunization form is required by New York state law. Failure to comply will result in a hold being placed on your account that will prevent you from registering for future semesters. The hold is pending disenrollment and steps will be taken to bar your access to any Fordham campus, including the residence halls.

You must submit the form prior to starting classes at Fordham. If you are unable to have the form completed by a doctor prior to your arrival, you may use the services of the Fordham University Health Center for a fee. The Health Center is located next door to the Law School at 140 W. 62nd Street, Room G-16. Students should call 212-636-7160 to schedule an appointment as soon as possible upon arrival in New York City. Failure to submit the form in a timely fashion will result in a fee.

May I stay in the student dormitory?

Law School graduate students are welcome to apply for graduate housing both on and off campus. For more information, please visit the Lincoln Center Residential Life website. To apply for a room, please contact Residential Life directly at or 212-636-7100. Please note that to apply for housing you will need your Fordham Identification Number (F.I.D.N.). Only students who have paid their deposit will have received their F.I.D.N.

May I work while enrolled as a student?

Employment possibilities depend largely on your visa status. Most international students are restricted to working on campus only unless they are U.S. citizens or permanent residents. Job opportunities on campus are very limited and generally only include a few research assistant positions. Professors generally hire research assistants at the beginning of each semester.

Work permits are required for all off-campus employment and may be granted by U.S. Immigration authorities for paid practical training. In general, students holding an F-1 or J-1 visa must complete at least nine months of academic work in order to apply for an off-campus work permit.

Additional Information

Will you recommend a bank for me to get a student loan?

As a matter of policy Fordham University does not refer students to specific private loan lenders. However, the University Graduate Financial Aid webpage lists some very helpful information regarding educational financing. Specifically, you should review their Private Educational Loans webpage which lists information about some lenders.

May I take summer classes before I start in fall?

Summer term courses are not available for students who begin programs in fall. However, many incoming students each year attend the Fordham Law Summer Institute or the semester-long Legal English Institute prior to beginning their graduate studies.

LLM Admissions

Fordham University School of Law
International and Non-JD Programs
150 West 62nd Street, Suite 8-131, New York, NY 10023 USA

Tel: 212-636-6883

Fax: 212-636-6922