Active Shooter Incident
Suggested Response by Students/Faculty/Staff/Visitors
In the unlikely event of an active shooter at a Fordham campus or building remember:
- Evacuate, if possible to do so safely
- Hide, if unable to safely evacuate
- Take action, if unable to evacuate or hide
- Know the exits nearest to your location in every building in which you study, teach, or work. Leave your belongings behind and keep your hands visible.
- Hide in a secure area in which you can lock the door or blockade the door with heavy furniture, cover any windows, turn off all lights, silence electronic devices, lie on the floor, and remain silent. Call 718-817-2222 and/or 911 when it is safe to do so.
- If your life is in imminent danger and you cannot evacuate or hide, as a last resort you should attempt to incapacitate the shooter as aggressively as possible. Actions might include throwing heavy objects at the shooter; rushing the shooter as a group; or striking the shooter with any hard object at hand.
Calls to the Department of Public Safety and 911 should state, if known:
- The location of the shooter(s)
- The number of shooters
- The types of weapon(s) the shooter has
- The number of victims at the location
- A description of the shooter(s), including gender, race, distinguishing features, clothing or identity
When Law Enforcement Officers Arrive on the Scene:
- Remain calm and follow directions
- Immediately raise hands and spread fingers
- Avoid quick movements towards officers
- Avoid pointing, screaming, and yelling
- Don't stop officers but proceed in direction from which officers are entering premises when evacuating.
These guidelines are adapted from a variety of sources, including the New York City Police Department and federal law enforcement agencies.
The following videos are available for you to view:
Surviving an Active Shooter Event
Note: In order to view the "Shots Fired on Campus" community member must sign in using Access IT ID