VPN Install and Setup Guide for Windows
A virtual private network extends Fordham University’s network through a secure connection over the internet from any public location. Employees and authorized individuals can have remote access to University-issued application software from their personal computer and/or mobile device.
Fordham University’s VPN is called Pulse Secure.
To monitor traffic and manage security policies, all faculty and staff have been categorized into specific user groups, also called “connections.” Pulse Secure will require users to add the connections they need to access their services.
Use Pulse Secure to connect and disconnect the Fordham VPN on your personal devices.
First-time users will need to download Pulse Secure and configure it to the VPN Connection that they require.
You may download Pulse Secure to all your devices, but only one device may connect at a time.
Downloading and Installing
- Retrieve the Windows Installer
- Click on the Download button.
- Each browser may download differently.
- Firefox: Click on the Save file button, select the display show downloads arrow on the upper right corner.
- Google Chrome: Double click on the downloaded button on the lower left-hand corner.
- The Pulse Secure Setup box will appear.
- Click Next
- Click Install
- If prompted to allow the following program to install, click Yes.
- Wait for Pulse Secure to complete installing.
- Click Finish to complete the install.
Pulse Secure should now be installed, follow the steps below to open and add connections.
Configure Pulse Secure
- In the Windows Taskbar at the bottom left hand corner, search for Pulse Secure
- Click on Pulse Secure.
- Click the + sign to Add a Connection.
- In the Add Connection pop up:
- Keep the default ‘Type’ settings Policy Secure or Connect Secure.
- Name the connection, example ‘Fordham VPN'.
- Add the server URL for the connection, for example https://vpn.fordham.edu/plus.
- Click the Add button to return to the Connections area.
- Repeat step 4 to add additional VPN connections if needed.
Please note that users are given access to specific connections. If access to a connection is needed, please contact IT Customer Care, 718-817-3999.
Using the VPN Connections with Pulse Secure
To authenticate your VPN connections, you must use Duo multi-factor authentication in addition to your AccessIT ID and password.
- Click Connect, next to the VPN connection.
- Type in the Access IT ID and password, when prompted.
- When prompted for a secondary password, there are 3 options for multi-factor authentication:
- Send a Push - type the word “push” in the secondary password field to have a push notification sent to a cellphone
- Call Me – type in the word “phone” in the secondary password field to receive a Duo phone call
- Enter a Passcode – Open Duo to generate a code, type it into the secondary password area
- A green checkmark will display next to the disconnect button.
(NOTE: Pulse Secure requires an antivirus to be installed to allow access to the VPN. Fordham IT provides antivirus protection to University-issued devices.)
- In the Windows Taskbar at the bottom right corner, next to the clock, select the arrow pointing up to display the miniature icons.
- Choose the Connection desired and select Connect.
- To disconnect, repeat steps 1 and 2, but choose the Connection and select Disconnect.
- User will need to reconnect every time the computer is restarted.