Skip to main content

The Transfer Application Process

Application Timeline

Transfer applicants can apply for the fall or the spring semesters (Dance majors can only apply for the fall). Most apply after completion of at least one full-time semester (15 credit hours) or one year of full-time course work at a college or university (30 credit hours). Fordham recommends that students apply as soon as possible in their undergraduate career. The average transfer student applies with between 15-45 credit hours completed or in progress.

Fall Semester Admission

November 1 - Common Application Open for Submission
March 15 - Decision Notification begins on a rolling basis
June 1 - Application Deadline

Spring Semester Admission

August 1 - Common Application Open for Submission
October 15 - Decision Notification begins on a rolling basis
November 1 - Application Deadline

Application Requirements

Fordham uses the Common Application for Transfers Students that can be found Applicants are encouraged to apply online. Fordham requires the following to complete an application.

Important: Applicants should provide a working and accurate email address when they apply as email is the primary way Fordham communicates with transfer applicants.


  • Common Application
  • Official College Transcripts
    • In the Common Application, under the Academic History, Colleges Attended section, please click the "Download Transcript Request Form" button and follow the printed instructions
    • Must be submitted from every college/university attended, even if you were a non-matriculated or a part-time student
  • Unofficial High School Transcript
    • Uploaded by the applicant via the Common Application
    • Must include date of high school graduation
    • All students who are admitted and enroll at Fordham must submit an official, final high school transcript prior to the start of classes
  • College Report
    • Applicants should download this form and present it to their current academic advisor, dean or other qualified campus official for completion. The purpose of this form is to confirm an applicant’s academic and student conduct standing 
    • A letter of good standing that addresses all questions listed on the form can serve as a substitute
  • Mid-Term Report  
    • Accessible from the Common Application for completion by all current professors after mid-term results are available. This form demonstrates further evidence of current academic progress
    • If you are not enrolled in classes for the current semester, the mid-term report is waived
  • Standardized Test Scores
    • Official scores should be sent directly through the College Board or ACT. SAT code: 2259; ACT code: 2748
    • Not required if you have completed more than one year of full-time college/university coursework or approximately 30 semester credit hours


  • $70 Application Fee
    • An applicant whose financial circumstances would pose a major barrier to applying to college can demonstrate their financial need by meeting one of the guidelines outlined in the Common Application. If one or more of the guidelines apply to you, you will automatically qualify to have your Common Application fees waived.
    • We are pleased to offer waived application fees for members and dependents of members of the US Armed Forces.  If you indicate you are a veteran on the Common Application, please contact the Office of Undergraduate Admission at to receive an application fee waiver

Additional Information

The following documents are not required but may enhance an application and allow the admission committee to reach a decision sooner in the process:

  • Personal Statement: Fordham suggests applicants submit a brief statement as to why they are transferring schools. If the applicant addresses this question in the Common Application essay then there is no need to submit a separate statement. This may be included with the common application or it may be sent to Fordham separately via traditional mail or email.
  • Faculty Letter of Recommendation: The letter may come via traditional mail, email or electronically via the Common Application.
  • Final Report (Common App Form)
  • Timeline of Academic Career: A brief timeline outlining the applicant’s academic progress is helpful for the admission committee; especially if there are significant gaps in the applicant’s record or the applicant has attended multiple universities and colleges.
  • Resume

Application material can be sent to Fordham in one of three ways:

  • Via the Common Application
  • Via email to
  • Via mail to: Fordham University, Office of Admission, 441 E. Fordham Rd.; Bronx, NY 10458
    • Application materials for both campus locations should be mailed to this address

Undergraduate College Options for Transfer Students

Applying To The Gabelli School Of Business

Fordham’s Gabelli School of Business offers distinct programs at each of our two New York City campuses. Students select only one campus and a corresponding major on their application. Applications are accepted for both the fall and spring semesters. All students seeking admission to the Gabelli School are recommended, but not required, to complete the following coursework prior to enrollment:

  • Basic Macroeconomics
  • Basic Microeconomics
  • One college math course equivalent to Fordham’s Finite Math course (MATH 1100 or 1108) or equivalent to Applied Calculus or Calculus 1.

The Lincoln Center Global Business program is highly structured so may not be suitable for all transfer students. The Rose Hill Business program is a larger and more flexible option that may better fit a student’s educational goals.  The Rose Hill programs also offers the opportunity to study Global Business.

Please Note: The Gabelli School of Business at Lincoln Center welcomes a very small incoming class each semester so availability is typically limited. Should an applicant not be admitted as a Global Business major, the committee may elect to offer admission to an alternate program.

  • Competitive applicants will have a minimum 3.3 cumulative GPA. 
  • Several required foundation courses must be completed prior to transfer.​ Required courses are determined based on length of full-time study at previous institutions.

For students transferring with one year or less of full-time coursework at time of enrollment at Fordham:

Prior to the fall semester of sophomore year at Fordham, these courses must be completed:

  • Basic Macroeconomics
  • Basic Microeconomics
  • Statistics
  • One college math course equivalent to Fordham’s Finite Math course (MATH 1100 or 1108) or equivalent to Applied Calculus or Calculus 1.

For students transferring with more than one year of college work full-time coursework at time of enrollment at Fordham:

Prior to initial study at Fordham, these courses must be completed:

  • Basic Macroeconomics
  • Basic Microeconomics
  • Statistics
  • At least one college math course equivalent to Fordham’s Finite Math course, or equivalent to Applied Calculus, Calculus 1, or a more advanced math course 

Listed below for your reference are additional courses required by the Gabelli School of Business for graduation. The more courses that are completed prior to entry into Fordham and accepted as equivalents to these courses below, the shorter the path will be to graduation. 

  • Financial Accounting (a placement test in accounting will be required)
  • Marketing Principles (a placement test in marketing will be required)
  • English Composition
  • English Literature: Texts & Contexts
  • Understanding Historical Change
  • Philosophy of Human Nature
  • Faith & Critical Reasoning
  • A second college math course (see details above)
  • Foundational courses in one or more of the following business areas:
    • Information Systems
    • Business Law
    • Managerial Accounting
    • Introduction to Business

Important additional information for applicants planning to transfer after completion of more than one year of full-time coursework:

Students with this level of coursework from previous institutions may find that they are not able to complete their undergraduate program within a four-year span. Due to the highly structured nature of the program at the Lincoln Center (Manhattan) campus, the Assistant Dean, Fr. Vincent DeCola, SJ, is available to students with specific questions. The Gabelli School of Business at Rose Hill (Bronx) offers more flexibility and, therefore, may allow students to graduate in a timely manner more easily. 

Dance and Theatre Transfer Students

Applicants interested in pursuing Dance or Theatre as a major must audition as part of the application process. Please see the Dance and Theatre department websites for details on the audition process.

International Transfers

Please refer to our International Transfer website for detailed information.

Internal Transfers

Current Fordham students who wish to transfer colleges within Fordham should speak to their class dean to discuss the internal transfer process.

Should You Apply as a Transfer Student?

Any applicant who graduated from high school or received a high school equivalency diploma, who completed or will complete coursework at a 2 or 4 year regionally accredited college or university at the time of application, and who intends to enroll full-time (15 credit hours per semester) in one of Fordham’s three undergraduate colleges to pursue a bachelors degree qualifies as a transfer applicant. A student must meet all of these criteria to be considered a transfer applicant.

Who should not apply as a transfer applicant?

  • Freshmen Applicants
    • Some students enroll in a college or university after high school graduation but do not complete a course. These applicants must apply as freshman applicants through the Common Application for freshman.
  • Non Traditional Students
    • Some applicants apply as traditional undergraduate transfer applicants but should consider applying to Fordham through Fordham’s School of Professional and Continuing Studies (PCS). Applicants who are returning to school after more than a year off, who have significant life experience after high school graduation, who work full-time, who have attended several(3 or more) colleges and universities since high school graduation, who have more than 60 credit hours of college coursework completed, or who have served in the military are encouraged to explore the educational options offered by Fordham’s PCS. This encouragement is not to prevent applicants from applying as a traditional transfer student but to ensure they have explored the best possible options academically, financially and socially for their future. Please read the section below on PCS or follow the link for more information on the advantages of enrolling in Fordham’s PCS.
  • HEOP/EOP/CD/SEEK Students
    • A student who is currently in HEOP/EOP/CD/SEEK at his or her current institution may apply as a transfer student to one of Fordham University’s full-time undergraduate colleges by responding to the HEOP question on the Common Application Member Questions for Transfer Students. Please contact the HEOP Office directly for updates on the transfer admission process and space availability.
  • Visiting Students
    • Students seeking short-term, full-time study at Fordham for a fall or spring semester while matriculated at another college or university should apply for visiting student admission.
  • Former Fordham Students
    • A former Fordham student attempting to return to full-time undergraduate study at the university must complete the Undergraduate Readmit Application Form to be submitted to the appropriate college dean’s office. The Form is located in the myFordham portal, within the Student Tab, under My Academic Notifications.  If the returning student has taken courses at another university or college in the interim, an official transcript must be submitted to the dean’s office upon reapplication.
  • Post Grad Students or Students Seeking a Second Bachelors Degree
    • Please contact PCS.