New Student Orientation: Frequently Asked Questions

  • Can students attend events at other campuses?
    Yes. Students can take the intercampus van service (Ram Van) when traveling between the campuses.

    How do I get to Rose Hill?
    The Ram Van shuttles students between campuses every half-hour. To guarantee a seat, you must sign up online at Tickets cost $3.50 each way and can be purchased in the Lowenstein Lobby from a ticket machine.

    If you are taking classes at Rose Hill, the tickets are complimentary. These tickets are distributed at the Ram Van Office located on the ground level of the parking garage, behind O'Hare Hall at Rose Hill.

    Ram Van tickets must be purchased in advance.

    Should I get a part-time job?
    It is not recommended to get a part-time job in the first semester of your academic year. It takes at least one semester to adjust to college academic life, and the demands of a part time position may cause additional stress.

    College work-study positions are recommended to those who are eligible. Working on-campus provides an atmosphere that places a priority on academics and learning.

    For those who need a part-time position for monetary reasons, the Office of Career Services at 140 W 62nd Street, Room G-49 has a listing of part-time positions in the area.

    Is the fitness center open to everyone?
    The Fitness Center (located in McMahon Residence Hall) and the Lombardi Center at Rose Hill are open to all students. You must swipe in with your ID and no guests are allowed.

    Intramural sports are available at Rose Hill. For information, please call 718-817-4263.

    I'm a commuter. How do I plan my commute?
    Check the MTA, NJ Transit, and LIRR websites for the best routes to campus from your area. NJ Transit offers discounted monthly bus passes for Fordham students. Students can access the discount from their portal by requesting the NJ Transit Pass Channel. For questions, contact [email protected].

    What meal plans are offered? What do I do if I have special dietary needs?
    Check out the resources for the Lincoln Center Meal Plans on the Fordham Dining website. Meal plans are required for residents living in McKeon Hall and are optional for residents of McMahon Hall. Meal plan options are also available for commuting students to make it cost effective to eat on campus on days you are here for class.

    Students can also purchase Declining Balance funds, which can be used at every on-campus dining location except for Community Dining.

    Students with specific dietary needs can meet with the Dietitian for specialized needs. The Dietitian can be contacted at [email protected].

    How can I get involved in activities?
    Attend Club Fair and get to know the clubs and organizations offered on campus. Club Fair is sponsored by the United Student Government and takes place at the beginning of each semester.

    All LC undergraduates will receive a weekly “What’s Happening?” email newsletter that lists all of the events and club meetings happening that week. You can also visit the Office of Student Involvement, located in 140 W 62nd St., Room G-33, to find out about upcoming events.

    Attend the Community Outreach fair sponsored by the Center for Community Engaged Learning in September to become more involved in the local community or to become involved in Outreach programs on-campus. The Center for Community Engaged Learning is located in the Lowenstein building on street level room SL18. This office has a number of opportunities for service in the local area.

    Visit Campus Ministry in Lowenstein 217, to learn about ways you can grow in your spiritual life and thrive at Fordham!  Campus Ministry supports students of all faith backgrounds and helps connect you with communities such as the Catholic Student Fellowship, Muslim Student Association, Jewish Student Organization, Lighthouse Christian Fellowship or more!  You can also get involved with service and justice opportunities, retreats, liturgical life, peer ministry, and interfaith work, for example, or set up a one-on-one conversation as you navigate life's challenges or make big decisions. We're here for you!

    I am interested in purchasing a computer. Does the University have any special purchasing plans?
    Yes, the university offers special discounts for students for Dell, Lenovo, HP, and Apple products.

    Can I use the Walsh Library at Rose Hill & the Quinn Library at Lincoln Center?

    The library facilities on both campuses are available to all students. Each library has Reference Librarians available to assist with research; Circulation staff to assist with Course Reserves and General Access, along with Group Study Rooms, and so much more! 

    Fordham University Libraries offers more than 2 million print and eBooks, along with access to thousands of journals, newspapers, and videos across a variety of databases and streaming platforms. Keep in mind, books and videos from either library can be transported to the student’s home library upon request. View the Fordham Library website for more information on everything the library has to offer.

    How can commuters rent a locker?
    Lockers are available for purchase online ($21/year, $16/semester) or with cash at the Office of Student Involvement ($20/year, $15/semester).

    Is housing guaranteed all four years? What type of housing is available for undergraduates?
    Freshmen who enter with housing are guaranteed housing for their entire four years. Visit the Office of Residential Life for more information about living on campus.

    I am not going to be living in the residence hall but I would like to get an apartment off-campus. Who should I call?
    Websites like are great starting points to find off-campus housing listings. You can also check your class Facebook groups where people often post about subletting and roommate openings.

    What floor is the financial aid office located?
    Office of Student Financial Services is located on the second floor of Lowenstein, room 214.

    Phone: 718-817-3800
    Fax: 212-636-6009
    Email: [email protected]

    Are there ATMs in the area?
    There is a TD Bank machine on campus, located near the bookstore. HSBC, Bank of America, Chase, and Citibank locations are also near campus.

    Does Fordham offer counseling?
    Yes, counseling, therapy, and other mental health resources are offered through Counseling and Psychological Services.

  • Do I have to attend Orientation?

    Fall Orientation is required for all new students from Sunday, August 25 through Tuesday, August 27. It is essential that you attend so that you can receive academic advising, learn about clubs and organizations, and meet your fellow classmates. Attendance will be taken at ALL sessions by the Orientation staff. 

    Can my parents come to Orientation?
    You are welcome to bring two individuals with you to help you move in to your residence hall, however due to social distancing capacities, we are unable to offer parent-specific programming at New Student Orientation this year.

    I'm a commuter student, can I stay on campus during Orientation?
    Due to space constraints, commuter students cannot stay on campus during Orientation this year.

    Where should I park my car?
    Our Parking Facilities webpage lists several parking garages in the area that offer discounts.

    I have a question, but can't find the answer. Who can I call?
    During business hours Monday - Friday 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. EST, you can contact the New Student Orientation Coordinators to get all your questions answered. Call us at 212-636-6260 or email us at [email protected].

  • Who should I contact for academic questions?
    Students enrolled in the Gabelli School of Business at Lincoln Center should contact Assistant Dean Fr. Vin DeCola by emailing [email protected] or by calling 212-636-7755.

    Incoming freshman and transfer students enrolled in the Fordham College at Lincoln Center should expect to hear from their advisors via email during the summer.

    How do I register for classes?
    More information about registration will be sent out via email.

    What is FCLC's academic advising program?
    The Academic Advising Program is designed to provide students with the guidance necessary to successfully complete their college degree. Each freshman is assigned a faculty advisor who will introduce the student to the academic and intellectual life of the college. Once students declare their major, the chair of the academic department will assign students a new advisor from that department.

    Can I cross-register for courses in Fordham undergraduate colleges?
    All core curriculum courses must be taken at your home campus (FCLC students must take core classes at the Lincoln Center campus). However, classes for your major not offered in your home campus can be taken at other campuses.

    I want to study abroad, who should I contact?
    Visit the Office of International and Study Abroad Programs website for more information.

  • What do I do if I get sick?
    The Health Center is open five days a week at Lincoln Center and is open to all students.

    The office is directed by a certified nurse practitioner and staffed by registered nurses. When not open, students may go up to University Health Services at Rose Hill.

    Where should I turn in my immunization form and my physician's record?
    Information about immunization forms can be accessed on the University Health Services immunization webpage.