International Diploma in Humanitarian Assistance
Shaping Humanitarian Leaders
International Diploma in Humanitarian Assistance, June 2018
The International Diploma in Humanitarian Assistance (IDHA), the flagship program of the Institute of International Humanitarian Affairs, equips mid-career professionals to drive the humanitarian sector of the future in a more effective, sustainable, and dignified direction Students will also develop a holistic perspective on global humanitarian issues to propel them to the next level in their careers, helping them create positive social change both in and out of the field.
For 20 years, this intensive, four-week training IIHA has trained thousands of humanitarian workers in cities around the world – from Kathmandu to Amman, New York to Geneva. Unique among other academic trainings of its kind, the IDHA emphasizes cultural diversity, cooperation and teamwork. Students join a cohort of diverse and highly qualified aid and development professionals from all over the world.
Directed by Larry Hollingworth, the IDHA centers around the Ignatian principle of being men and women for others by enhancing students’ knowledge and skills in complex emergency and protracted crisis intervention. Students are also encouraged to critically examine global humanitarian processes in order to identify necessary reforms in both the public and private sectors.
- Students receive more than 200 hours of lectures from world-renowned humanitarian experts
- Presentations, debates, case studies, practical exercises, and scenarios allow for collaborative learning opportunities in a cohort of field-experienced humanitarians
- Covers a full range of disciplines involved in humanitarian response, including: management, logistics, health, psychology, social sciences, anthropology, communication, agriculture, environment, education, conflict resolution, international law, civil/military relations, security, media, politics, and economics
- Upon completion, graduates will receive eight graduate-level credits accepted toward the Master of Arts in International Humanitarian Action, or potentially their studies at other academic institutions
- Certified by the New York State Education Department
- Course cost of U.S. $5,500 includes tuition, course materials, lodging, and weekday meals. Transportation costs are not included.
- Private loans or payment plans may be available
- Program is not eligible for U.S. federal aid programs
Upcoming IDHA Courses:
- New York, New York: June 2 – 28, 2019
- Geneva, Switzerland: November 17 – December 12, 2019