International Diploma in Humanitarian Assistance
IDHA 48 - New York, June 2016
Addressing the complex conditions faced by humanitarian workers, the International Diploma in Humanitarian Assistance (IDHA) is an intensive four-week training program that allows you, as an active aid professional, to acquire the training and knowledge you need with minimal time away from your operation.
Unique among other academic trainings of its kind, the IDHA stresses cooperation and teamwork rather than competition and individualism. As a member of a designated team for the duration of the course, you’ll contribute your skills and any areas of expertise while improving your ability to communicate and work effectively in a culturally diverse group. Through more than 200 hours of lectures, presentations, debates, and group work, you’ll be exposed to the full range of disciplines involved in humanitarian programs, including management, logistics, communication, health, psychology, anthropology, environment, education, conflict resolution, economics, international law, and civil-military relations.
Run by Fordham’s Institute of International Humanitarian Affairs and directed by Larry Hollingworth, this program will provide you with the knowledge and tools you need to respond effectively and humanely to a humanitarian crisis.
- Gain extensive insight into the needs of refugees and those who have been displaced within their home countries, in both acute and chronic settings
- Function effectively as an individual and as a member of a team
- Learn to facilitate cooperation and dialogue between international, governmental, and non-governmental agencies
- Evaluate interventions and identify examples of best practices
- Examine ways in which humanitarian crises can be anticipated and prevented
- Certified by the New York State Education Department
- Eligible for eight graduate-level academic credits that are accepted toward our Master of Arts in International Humanitarian Action (MIHA) program and may be transferred to other academic institutions
- Course cost of $5,500 USD includes tuition, fees, course materials, lodging, and weekday meals. Transportation costs are not included.
- Private loans or payment plans may be available
- Program is not eligible for U.S. federal aid programs
Upcoming IDHA courses:
- New York City, USA: June 4 to July 1, 2017
- Vienna, Austria: November 5 to December 1, 2017