IIHA Humanitarian Innovation and Design Internship
The Humanitarian Innovation and Design Intern will work under the close supervision of the IIHA Communications and Research Officer to assist with the continued development of the IIHA’s research initiatives of humanitarian innovation and humanitarian design. The intern will support the dissemination and promotion of humanitarian design and innovation worldwide through online research, partnership outreach, event planning and management, and editing publications for dissemination. The intern will have the opportunity to learn, develop, and sharpen his/her knowledge of the most important issues and challenges in humanitarian action; to hone his/her skills in networking, and to leverage broad partnerships for social impact. The intern may also be involved in designing and developing independent projects and contributing to public documents and communication materials for IIHA and renowned events such as the Humanitarian Blockchain Summit and the Design For Humanity Initiative. Additionally, the intern will assist the IIHA Executive Director, Senior Fellows and academic staff with the Summer 2019 International Diploma in Humanitarian Assistance, a 4- week intensive residential program for mid-career humanitarian professionals.
- Undertake research and evaluate trending and emerging technologies in humanitarian action
- Identify potential interlocutors for IIHA innovation and design initiatives
- Support the logistical planning and implementation of IIHA innovation and design events— including the next Humanitarian Blockchain Summit and Design for Humanity Summit
- Edit and possibly create content and publications about humanitarian design and innovation on behalf of the IIHA
- Assist in drafting and editing funding proposals, publication submissions, and donor reports
- Support the logistical planning and promotion of IIHA innovation courses
- Undergraduate student with experience or academic concentration in Communications, Information Technology, International Relations, Humanitarian Affairs, Sociology, Political Science, English, Innovation, Design, Data Analysis, or Journalism
- Proven knowledge of technology-related trends (no technical skills required)
- Outstanding ICT capacity and researching skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to multitask and complete projects ahead of or by deadlines
- Driven by curiosity, humanity, courtesy and a strong proactive attitude
Assignment Start Date: All internships are unpaid and last for the duration of the summer (no earlier than May 20 and no later than August 9). We ask that all interns commit at least 15-20 hours each week.
How to Apply: Places are limited. Please submit a cover letter and resume to Brendan Cahill, Executive Director at email@example.com Application due no later than February 15, 2019. Answers will be given on a rolling basis no later than March 1, 2019.