For Students, Faculty, Staff, Guests, Alumni
The purpose of this policy is to define the permission regarding the hosting and sharing of content on the University’s IT Resources by Users or authorized third parties representing themselves as part of the University community.
This IT policy, and all policies referenced herein, shall apply to all members of the University community, including faculty, students, administrative officials, staff, alumni, authorized guests, delegates, and independent contractors (the “User(s)” or “you”) who use, access, or otherwise employ, locally or remotely, the University’s IT Resources, whether individually controlled, shared, stand-alone, or networked.
- Hosting sites that represent the University and registered student organizations (e.g., professional associations, consortiums, or journals) are permitted to share content on behalf of the University with authorization.
- Users may share content on non-University servers. However, an authorized contractual relationship for hosting the entity’s site must be demonstrated.
- When sharing content, all are required to respect the rights of others.
- All are prohibited from using IT Resources to post or transmit any content that is deemed contrary to the mission of the University.
- Users must abide by the data protection requirements outlined in Data Classification and Protection Policy and Data Classification Guidelines.
Hosting is providing network access to a site, or network-accessible location, which includes the distribution of content.
IT Resources include computing, networking, communications, application, and telecommunications systems, infrastructure, hardware, software, data, databases, personnel, procedures, physical facilities, cloud-based vendors, Software as a Service (SaaS) vendors, and any related materials and services.
Related Policies and Procedures
- Acceptable Uses of IT Infrastructure and Resources
- Data Classification Guidelines
- Data Classification and Protection Policy
- Social Media Policy
|Responsible Person:||Senior Director, IT Security Operations and Assurance|
|Approved By:||Office of Legal Counsel|
|Approval Date:||May 13, 2019|
|1.0||While this policy is “new,” this policy was formerly in the IT Policy: Acceptable Uses of IT Infrastructure and Resources. Prior revisions to this policy found in that document.|
|1.1||05/13/2019||Updated policy statement|
|2.0||05/22/2020||Renamed policy, updated purpose and policy statements|
|2.1||07/26/2023||Updated policy statement|
Policy Disclaimer Statement
Deviations from policies, procedures, or guidelines published and approved by Information Security and Assurance (ISA) may only be done cooperatively between ISA and the requesting entity with sufficient time to allow for appropriate risk analysis, documentation, and possible presentation to authorized University representatives. Failure to adhere to ISA written policies may be met with University sanctions.