Internet of Things Procedure for Faculty/Staff
For Students, Faculty, Staff, Guests, Alumni
This procedure outlines how Faculty/Staff must request a connection of an Internet of Things (IoT) device to the University’s network.
This IT document, and all policies referenced herein, shall apply to University faculty and staff (the “User(s)” or “you”) who use, access, or otherwise employ, locally or remotely, the University’s IT Resources, whether individually controlled, shared, stand-alone, or networked.
- Users must request to connect an IoT device to Fordham’s network per the Internet of Things Policy.
- Users must submit a service request to IT Service Desk Level 1 through the Tech Help link under My Apps on the University portal for each IoT device or collection of devices that perform a similar function.
- You must provide the following detailed information for each IoT device request:
- Full name, email address, and contact number of the requester,
- Supervisor's name,
- The business need to connect the device to the network,
- Manufacturer's make and model of the device,
- Type of connection required (wired or wireless),
- MAC address of the device,
- Specify if the device requires a DHCP or static IP address,
- Specify if the device requires outbound, inbound, or bi-directional access to the network,
- If inbound connectivity is required, you need to provide the external IP address(es) and port(s) (TCP/UDP) communicating to the device,
- The installation location of the device, and
- The manufacturer's name, email address, and contact number, if available.
- The service request is reviewed, approved, or denied by Information Security and Assurance (ISA) and Network Engineering and Operations (NEO).
- If approved, NEO coordinates connecting the device to the appropriate IoT network.
- The requester's department is responsible for providing budget code(s) to cover costs for installing network equipment required to provide connectivity for the device (e.g., data jack or access point (AP) installations).
- NEO must log an inventory of all IoT devices and network information.
IT Resources include computing, networking, communications, application, and telecommunications systems, infrastructure, hardware, software, data, databases, personnel, procedures, physical facilities, cloud-based vendors, Software as a Service (SaaS) vendors, and related materials and services.
The Internet of Things are physical objects (e.g., vehicles, home appliances, and other items embedded with electronics, software, sensors, actuators) that communicate, sense, or interact with their internal states or the external environment via network connectivity.
Related Policies and Procedures
|Responsible Person||Senior Director of IT Security Operations and Assurance|
|1.1||10/05/2020||Updated procedure statement|
|1.2||10/13/2021||Updated procedure statement|
|1.3||10/31/2022||Updated links, procedure statement, Director's title|
|2.0||02/09/2023||Replaced EasyVista with ServiceNow|