Learning Commons, LITE: Learning, Innovation, Technology Environment
For Students, Faculty, Staff, Guests, Alumni
The Learning Commons, LITE is Fordham University’s new Learning and Innovation Technology Environment.
As a collaboration between Information Technology and Fordham University Libraries, LITE brings a much needed comprehensive, integrated learning commons to the Fordham community. LITE is meant to be accessible and available to all of Fordham’s students, faculty, and administrators.
LITE’s resources may bolster current research and open up possibilities for new or existing research grants and awards. Its resources can be used by researchers and students alike to ask questions that they may not previously have been equipped to answer and the ideas spawned may take on new life as unexplored dimensions emerge, forging new paths of study. It can also just be a destination for students in and of itself, providing fun options for those looking to exert their creativity.
LITE has been designed to constantly evolve so as to keep pace with the changing and advancing needs of our faculty and students.
In particular, LITE offers:
- An integrated technology support center and information desk with day-to-day IT support from IT professionals and academic peers (similar to Apple Stores’ Genius Bars).
- A Maker Space facility for producing with 3D printers, a laser cutter, a plotter, a large format printer and more
- Two sound-controlled recording and podcasting rooms with microphones and green screens
- Training workshops throughout the school year
- Several collaborative work areas
- Fordham’s Loaner Program, which lends out laptops, webcams, microphones, and more
- High-end computer workstations for multimedia production station
- A Virtual Reality area
- Assistive Technology workstations
- Robust scanning options
The LITE space at RH is open from Monday - Thursday 9 - 5 p.m. Access to the Service Desk, the lounge area and collaborative area with Jamboards and TV screens is open to all walk-ins.
The LITE annex at LC is open from Monday - Thursday 9 - 5 p.m. Access to the Jamboard is open to all walk-ins.
The community should sign up to reserve time in the recording rooms, XR room, the 3D printers and makerspace at RH and LC. Please sign up via Calendly here.
Full center amenities including: collaboration areas (lounge, TVs, and Jamboards), recording rooms, XR, and makerspace including 3D printers, engraver, large format plotter, and other equipment
Walsh Family Library, Lower level, Room 014
|Lincoln Center Annex|
VR and Jamboard and a makerspace with 3D scanning/printing
Lowenstein building, Room 416 [located within the Faculty Technology Center]
Email [email protected] for visits, tours, and consultations.