State Grants

New York State Grant - Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)

New York State TAP eligibility is currently based on the family's New York State taxable income and information submitted on the FAFSA and the New York State Express Tap Application (ETA). You will automatically be sent an ETA if you are a New York State Resident, and listed at least one New York State school on your FAFSA.

An actual award certificate from New York State Higher Education Services Corporation (NYSHESC) will be sent to you. This grant may only be used at colleges within New York State. If you do not receive an award certificate from NYSHESC within four weeks after filing for TAP or within 3 weeks of the passing of the State budget (whichever is later), contact NYSHESC at 888-697-4372. Check on your TAP status.

New York State Aid for Part-Time Study (A.P.T.S)

These funds are limited and are awarded based on NYS net taxable income, academic performance, availability of funds, and the number of credits. The maximum award is $2,000 and students must be enrolled for at least 3 but less than 12 credits per term.

Students should apply at least one month prior to the start of classes for APTS. The application can be found in the Forms and Worksheets section. Students must submit this application as well as their NYS taxes to Student Financial Services. No funds will be awarded later than 30 days after the last day of drop/add registration.

Other State Grants

There are some states which allow students to carry state aid with them to colleges outside of their home state. These include Vermont, Rhode Island, Maryland, and the District of Columbia. If applicable, check with your guidance counselor to determine how to file.