English Graduate Application and Admissions
(M.A. not required for admission, all admitted Ph.D.'s are funded):
January 3, 2020
Spring M.A. Applications (without financial aid consideration):
November 4, 2019
Summer M.A. Applications (without financial aid consideration):
January 3, 2020
Fall M.A. Applications (with financial aid consideration):
January 3, 2020
Fall M.A. Applications (without financial aid consideration):
Accelerated Admission M.A. Program
Recommended Deadline: April 6, 2020
Final Deadline: April 30, 2020
Apply through The Graduate School of Arts and Sciences online application. Completed applications include:
- Statement of Intent: Your Statement of Intent should characterize your identity as a literary scholar and your aspirations as a graduate student of literature at Fordham. It should detail your intellectual preparation for such study in an undergraduate and/or Master’s degree program, and describe in specific terms your current research interests—the questions, texts, authors, genres, periods, and/or traditions in which you are most engaged. (500-1,000 words).
- PhD Applicants must select an Area of Interest from:
- Old English
- Early Modern/Renaissance
- Eighteenth-Century British
- Nineteenth-Century British
- Twentieth and Twenty-First Century British
- Early American
- Nineteenth Century American
- Twentieth and Twenty-First Century American
- Writing Sample: Your writing sample should be an original scholarly essay of 15-25 pages, preferably written for an upper-level literature course. This essay should reflect your scholarly interests and intellectual potential. It may be submitted either in a word processing program file or as a PDF file.
- Three letters of recommendation.
- Transcripts: International transcripts should be translated.
- CV or resume: Include your full legal name, permanent and local/current addresses and contact numbers, and any relevant professional and scholarly experience (max 5 pages).
- GRE General Test: (Institution Code 2259). Required for Ph.D. NOT required for M.A. program.
- GRE Subject Test in Literature: NOT required for M.A. or Ph.D. applications.
- Application fee of $70 or as otherwise posted on GSAS Admissions.
- TOEFL test results must be submitted by International Applicants: International applicants whose native language is not English are required to complete and submit to GSAS prior to matriculation their official scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). GSAS will also consider a student’s International English Language Testing System (IELTS)—Cambridge English Proficiency Level language testing results.
Official TOEFL or IELTS scores should be sent directly by the testing service to the Office of Graduate Admissions, Fordham University, Graduate School of Arts and Sciences – Code # 2259. Please consult the English Proficiency page for additional information.
Note: Students who have completed a degree (undergraduate or graduate) at an English-language university are exempt from the TOEFL requirement.
For questions about the Graduate Program, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions about the online application, contact the Admissions Office of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences at email@example.com.