Make Art in the Creative Capital of the World
In small classes taught by dedicated, award-winning professionals, you will develop your creativity and navigate today's visually oriented world and job markets.Thinking about a career in the arts? The Visual Arts program will provide you with the technical skills and critical and historical understanding you’ll need to enter the field. We offer a major in five concentrations-painting and drawing, graphic design, film and video, photography, and architecture - as well as a minor.
You will master your chosen discipline through practice as well as by studying its social, historical, and ethical contexts.Through a combination of a studio and visual arts curriculum, our students are prepared to take their places as productive and engaged citizens. When you graduate, you will be equipped with enhanced creativity, marketable skills, and an expanded vision of art’s scope and potential in the world.
You may study in professional studios in Lincoln Center's Visual Arts Complex or on the Rose Hill campus in a beautiful sky-lit studio space with terrazzo floors. Both locations are equipped with state-of-the-art computer labs; these facilities are accessible for your use when classes are not in session.
We offer five visual-arts concentrations at our Lincoln Center and Rose Hill campuses.
- Painting and Drawing – Master traditional and modern technical skills, art theory, and creative expression.
- Graphic Design – Study the principles of design and typography from critical, social, historical, and theoretical perspectives.
- Film and Video – Discover film history and create your own experimental, narrative, or documentary films.
- Architecture – Prepare for a career in architecture, urban planning or environmental design.
- Photography – Develop your darkroom and digital skills and learn the historical and critical contexts of the medium.
Both social and cultural engagement and professional exposure are integral parts of our department’s curriculum. As a visual arts student at Fordham, you will:
- Have access to guest lecturers and artists exhibiting in our on-campus galleries.
- Tour museums and galleries throughout the city.
- Attend film screenings and salons at professional design organizations.
- Visit working artists' studios
Educating the Whole Person
Our Visual Arts Program fosters the development of rigorously intellectual, creative, and socially engaged artists. With a foundation in Fordham’s liberal-arts curriculum, you’ll learn to think critically, value creativity, and build technical skills to plumb the range of art’s expressive and aesthetic potential—all in the service of artistic excellence.