Role-Based Email Accounts
For Students, Faculty, Staff, Alumni
Members of Fordham University are now provided with role-based email addresses that specifically correspond to their role at the university as student/alumni or employee. As a result, individuals with multiple roles at the university receive two email accounts: one for work and one for student or alumni activities. This keeps work communications separate and secure from student-related activities.
Primary vs Role-Based Email Accounts
All members of the Fordham community are provided with a primary email account based on their primary role. Members of the community who have two roles at the university are also provided with a second role-based email account in addition to their primary email account.
You will use your primary account for all communications relating to your primary role. For Fordham-provided services requiring you to log in (like the portal, Blackboard, DegreeWorks, Banner, etc.), you must use your primary Fordham account. Manage your primary account.
You will use your second role-based email account for all communications relating to your second role in accordance with the Role-Based Email Accounts Policy. Set up your second role-based email account following the instructions below.
|Roles||Primary Role and Account||Second Role-based Account|
|Student working for the university (grad asst, part-time emp, hourly emp, or work-study)||Student||Employee|
|Employee taking courses (full-time administrator, clerical, maintenance, faculty, or adjunct)||Employee||Student|
|Employee who is also an alum (full-time administrator, clerical, maintenance, faculty, or adjunct)||Employee||Student (Alumni)|
|Hourly/Part-time employees taking courses
Set up your Second Role-Based Email Account
- Go to https://claim.fordham.edu/update
- Login with your primary account credentials
- Click the go here link under "Role Based Account"
- Next to the username, click Update Password
- Enter a new password and click submit
- In a separate browser window, log into fordham.edu with your second role-based email account credentials
- You will be prompted by Duo to set up your Duo device
- Note: If you are logging in from a device in a secure location, Duo may pass you through without prompting
- The pages and applications visible will be limited to those available to your new role-based email account only
Yes, you must use your student-based email account for student/alumni activities and your employee account for work communications. All work communications are to be kept separate from student communications. Role-Based Email Accounts Policy
Your primary account is based on your primary role, see table above. Your work email should be used for work-related activities and your student email should be used for any student-related activities.
All the email accounts associated with you are available on both your Fordham employee dashboard or Fordham student dashboard. The email address labeled “Fordham University Employee and Guest” should be used for all work communications. The email address labeled “Fordham University Student” should be used for student-related activities.
When you begin typing a first and last name in the recipient field in Gmail, all of the email addresses associated with that name will pop-up. If the person has more than one email address, all their addresses will be displayed. The student address is labeled with a discreet " · s " designation.
Yes! You can register the same device and Duo Mobile app to both accounts.
Your primary email account is for all work purposes, and your second role-based email should be used for any alumni-related communications. Your primary work account will be terminated upon the end of your employment with the university, but you will keep your student email account for life.
You can move emails between accounts at your discretion. We cannot move emails between accounts for you.
You will keep your student/alumni account for life. Your access to your work account will end when you stop working at the University.
If you are a retiring faculty member, you may petition the Provost to request to keep your employee account. If you are a retiring faculty member who also had administrative duties, you will lose access to your work account and you may petition the Provost to request a new account. Upon retirement, Faculty may also petition the Provost to be named an Emeritus Faculty member which will grant them additional access to more applications.
For Full-Time Employees (Administrators, Clerical, Maintenance), Full Time Faculty, or Adjuncts that are ALSO taking classes OR are Alumni:
- Your work-based account has your institutional records. Log in to the portal with your work-based account to view your records.
- Your student-based account has no institutional records or information. It is for Gmail use for school-related activities only.
For Students who are ALSO Grad Assistants, Part-Time employees, Hourly employees, OR Student Work-Study employees, the "Fordham University Student" is the account with their institutional records
- Your student-based account has your institutional records. Log in to the portal with your student-based account to view your records.
- Your work-based account has no institutional records or information. It is for Gmail and Office 365 use for employee-related activities only.