Lindsay Till Hoyt
Associate Professor of Psychology
Email: [email protected]
Rose Hill Campus: Dealy Hall, Room 216
Keywords: positive youth development; social determinants of health; health disparities; puberty; adolescent sleep; stress biology; youth participatory action research
Currently accepting students.
Lab Instagram: @3dyouthresearch
- 2005 BA in Psychology and Peace Studies, University of Notre Dame
- 2010 MA in Human Development and Social Policy, Northwestern University
- 2013 PhD in Human Development and Social Policy, Northwestern University
- 2013-2015 Postdoctoral Fellowship, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Health & Society Scholars program, University of California at San Francisco and Berkeley
- Environmentally-sensitive psychobiological systems (i.e., puberty, stress, sleep) that underlie young people’s well-being and inequalities in short- and long-term health
- Sociopolitical stress
- Civic engagement
- Youth Participatory Action Research (YPAR)
- Positive youth development
- PSYC 1200 – Foundations of Psychology
- PSYC 3100 – Health Psychology
- PSYC 3510 – Participatory Action Research
- PSYC 6300 - Developmental Foundations
- PSYC 8350 – Applied Developmental Psychology Practicum
- Election Projects
- The COVID-19 College Study
- The Hijos Project (NSF)
- Social Network Analysis of Puberty, Activity Behaviors, and Health Disparities (NIH)
- See 3D Lab website for more projects and project descriptions
* Indicates graduate student mentee.*Chaku, N., Hoyt, L.T., & *Barry, K. (2021). Executive functioning profiles in adolescence: Using person-centered approaches to understand heterogeneity. Cognitive Development. In press at Cognitive Development.
Cohen A.K., Hoyt, L.T., *Nichols CR, *Yazdani N., *Dotson M.P. (2021) Opportunities to reduce college students’ COVID-19-related risk behaviors: Insights from a national, longitudinal cohort study. Journal of Adolescent Health, 69(3), 383-389.
*Dotson, M.P., *Magid, N.T., *Maker Castro, E., Hoyt, L.T., Suleiman, A.B., & Cohen, A. (2021). Emotional distancing’: Change and strain in U.S. young adult college students’ relationships during COVID-19. In press at Emerging Adulthood.
*Dull, B.D., Hoyt, L.T., Grzanka, P.R. & Zeiders, K.H. (2021). White guilt and civic action: The role of civic values. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 50, 1081-1097.
Hoyt, L.T., Cohen, A. K., *Dull, B.D., *Maker Castro, E., *Yazdani, N. (2021). “Constant stress has become the new normal”: Stress and anxiety inequalities among U.S. college students in the time of COVID-19. Journal of Adolescent Health, 68(2), 270-276.
Hoyt, L.T., *Chaku, N., *Barry, K., *Anderson, G., & Ballard, P.J. (2021). Enacting maturity during adolescence: Extending theory, developing a measure, and considering implications for problem behaviors. Journal of Applied Developmental Science. E-pub ahead of print; doi: 10.1080/10888691.2021.1957892.
Hoyt, L.T., Zeiders, K.H., *Chaku, N, *Niu, L., Cook, S. (2021). Identifying diurnal cortisol profiles among young adults: Physiological signatures of mental health trajectories. Psychoneuroendocrinology, 128, 105204.
*Maker Castro, E., *Dull, B., Hoyt, L.T., Cohen, A. K. (2021). Associations Between Critical Consciousness and Well-Being in a National Sample of College Students During the COVID-19 Pandemic. Journal of Community Psychology. E-pub ahead of print; doi: 10.1002/jcop.22678.
*Niu, L, Hoyt, L.T., Pickering, S., Schlecht, N.F., Burk, R.D., Diaz, A. (2021). Neighborhood profiles and body mass index trajectory in female adolescents and young adults. In press at Journal of Adolescent Health. E-pub ahead of print; doi: 10.1016/j.jadohealth.2021.06.
*Niu, L, Hoyt, L.T., Shane, J., & Storch, E.A. (2021). Profiles of past, present, and future subjective social status: Associations with young adult psychological well-being. Journal of American College Health. E-pub ahead of print; doi: 10.1080/07448481.2021.1954010.
Suleiman, A.B., Ballard, P.J., Hoyt, L.T., & Ozer, E.J. (2021). Applying a developmental lens to youth-led participatory action research: A critical examination and integration of existing evidence. Youth & Society, 53(1), 26-53. (First published online in 2019.)
*Yazdani, N., McCallen, L. Hoyt, L.T., & Brown, J. (2021). Predictors of economically disadvantaged vertical transfer students’ academic performance and retention: A scoping review. Journal of College Student Retention: Research, Theory & Practice, 15210251211031184.