Associate Professor of Psychology
Email: [email protected]
Rose Hill Campus: Dealy Hall, Room 240
- 2003 BA in Psychology, New York University
- 2012 PhD in Clinical Psychology, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
- 2012-2015 Postdoctoral Research Fellowship, Alpert Medical School of Brown University
- Tobacco dependence and smoking cessation among vulnerable populations with psychiatric and substance use disorders, and chronic health conditions (e.g., HIV).
- Processes and mechanisms of desired health behavior change (e.g., the role of affect and stress in the process of quitting smoking)
- Innovative and disseminable interventions to reduce smoking-related health disparities in at-risk populations (e.g., smartphone intervention, interactive voice response [IVR])
- PSYC 1200 – Foundations of Psychology
- PSYC 2900 - Abnormal Psychology
- PSYC 6830 - Psychology Research Methodology
- PSYC 7250 - Treatment of Substance Abuse
- PSYC 8212 - Clinical Externship III
- The Effect of Electronic Cigarette Use on Smoking Behaviors Among Smokers Receiving Outpatient Psychiatric Treatment: Pilot Study (Principal Investigator)
- Achieving Smoking Cessation Milestones in Opioid Treatment Patients: A Randomized 2 X 2 Factorial Trial of Directly Observed and Long-term Varenicline (Co-Investigator: sponsored by National Institute of Drug Abuse)
- Does Medical Cannabis Reduce Opioid Analgesics in HIV+ and HIV- Adults with Pain? (Co-Investigator: sponsored by National Institute of Drug Abuse)
1. Minami, H., Nahvi, S., Arnsten, J., Brinkman, H. R., Rivera-Mindt, M., Wetter, D. W., Bloom, E. L., Price, L. H., Richman, E. K., Betzler, T. F., Stockmal, C.*, Donnelly, R.**, McClain, L. M.*, Kennedy, K.*, Vieira, C.**, Fine, M., McCarthy, D. E., Thomas, J. G., Hecht, J., & Brown, R. A. (in press). A pilot randomized controlled trial of smartphone-assisted mindfulness-based intervention with contingency management for smokers with mood disorders. Experimental and Clinical Psychopharmacology.
2. Donnelly, R. E.**, Minami, H., Hecht, J., Bloom, E. L., Tashima, K., Kumar, D. S.*, Abrantes, A. M., Stanton, C, & Brown, R.A. (2021). Relationships among self-Efficacy, quality of life, perceived vulnerability, and readiness to quit smoking in people living with HIV. Journal of Smoking Cessation. vol. 2021, Article ID 6697404, 10 pages. https://doi.org/10.1155/2021/6697404
3. Brown, R. A., Minami, H., Hecht, J., Kahler, C., Price, L. H., Kjome, L. K., Bloom, E. L., Levy, D. E., Carpenter, K. M., Smits, J. A., & Rigotti, N. A. (2021). Sustained Care Cessation Intervention for Smokers Hospitalized for Psychiatric Disorders: A Randomized Clinical Trial. Journal of American Medical Association Psychiatry. doi:10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2021.0707
4. Xie, S.**, Minami, H., Kumer, D. S.*, Hecht, J., Bloom, E. L., Kahler, C., Abrantes, A. M., Price, L. H., Ondersma, S., & Brown, R.A. (2021). Readiness to quit smoking among smokers in substance use treatment: Associations with stress, substance use severity, relapse concerns and gender. Journal of Substance Use. doi: 10.1080/14659891.2021.1879295
5. Cunningham, C. O., Starrels, J. L., Zhang, C., Bachhuber, M. A., Sohler, N. L., Levin, F. R., Minami, H., Slawek, D., Arnsten, J. H. (2020). The Medical Marijuana and Opioids (MEMO) Study: Protocol of a longitudinal cohort study to examine if medical cannabis reduces opioid use among adults with chronic pain. BMJ Open, 10: e043400. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2020-043400.
6. Ahmed, S.*, Minami, H., & Rasmussen, A. (2020). A systematic review of treatments for problematic khat use. Substance Use & Misuse, 55:4, 590-601.
7. Minami, H. & Teo, T.K. (2019). The impact of e-cigarette price changes on vaping and smoking behaviors. Substance Use & Misuse, 54(10), 1599-1610.
8. Minami, H., Bloom, E. L., Brinkman, H. R., Abrantes, A. M., Yong, C. C., & Brown, R. A. (2018). Factors related to cigarette smoking and intent to quit among adolescent inpatients with psychiatric and substance use disorders. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 186, 215-218.
9. Minami, H., Brinkman, H. R., Nahvi, S., Arnsten, J., Rivera-Mindt, M., Wetter, D. W., Bloom, E. L., Price, L. H., Vieira, C.**, Donnelly, R.**, McClain, L. M.*, Kennedy, K.*, D’Aquila, E., Fine, M., McCarthy, D. E., Thomas, J. G., Hecht, J., & Brown, R. A. (2018). Rationale, design and pilot feasibility results of a smartphone-assisted, mindfulness-based intervention for smokers with mood disorders: Project mSMART MIND. Contemporary Clinical Trials, 66, 36-44.
10. McCarthy, D. E., Minami, H., Bold, K. W., Yeh, V. & Chapman, G. (2018). Momentary assessment of impulsive choice and impulsive action: Reliability, stability, and correlates addictive behaviors. Addictive Behavior, 83, 130-135.
11. Minami, H., Frank, B*, Bold, K. W., & McCarthy, D. E. (2018). Ecological momentary analysis of the relations among stressful events, affective reactivity, and smoking among smokers with high vs. low depressive symptoms during a quit attempt. Addiction, 113(2), 299-312.
12. Minami, H., Bloom, E. L., Palm Reed, K. M., Hayes, S. C., & Brown, R. A. (2015). The moderating role of experiential avoidance in the relationships between internal distress and smoking behavior during a quit attempt. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 29(2), 400-407.
13. Minami, H., Tran, L., & McCarthy, D. E. (2015). Using ecological measures of smoking trigger exposure to predict smoking cessation milestone. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 29(1), 122-8.
* Indicates undergraduate student author under my mentorship
** Indicates graduate student author under my mentorship