- 1997 BA in Psychology, Cornell University
- 2003 PhD in Psychology, New York University
Major Research Interests
- Ethnic identity development among minority youth, young adults, and adults
- Direct and indirect association between ethnic identity and psychological adjustment
- Impact of ethnic-specific and general stressors for well-being outcomes
Professional Affiliations and Cooperations
- Associate Editor, Asian American Journal of Psychology
- Associate Editor, Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology
- Dr. J. Nicole Shelton, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ
- Dr. Robert M. Sellers, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
- Dr. Eleanor Seaton, Arizona State University, Chapel Hill, NC
- Dr. William Cross, University of Denver, NV
- Dr. Gilbert Gee, UCLA
- Yip, T. (in press). To be or not to be: How racial/ethnic stereotypes influence ethnic disidentification and private regard, Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology
- Douglass, S., Jeswani, S., English, D. & Yip, T. (in press). "They were just making jokes": racial/ethnic teasing and discrimination among adolescent friends, Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology
- Shelton, J. N., Garcia, R. L., Douglass, S., Yip, T. & Trail. T. (in press). Feeling (mis)understood and intergroup friendships in interracial interactions. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin
- Yip, T. (2015). The Effects of ethnic/racial discrimination and sleep quality on trajectories of depressive symptoms and self-esteem among diverse adolescents, Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 44 (2), 419-430.
- Douglass, S., Yip, T., & Shelton, J. N. (2014). Intragroup contact and anxiety for ethnic minority adolescents: The influence of ethnic identity and school diversity transitions. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 43(10), 1628-1641. doi:10.1007/s10964-014-0144-5
- Yip, T. (2014). Ethnic identity in everyday life: The influence of identity development status. Child Development, 85 (1), 205-219.
- Schwartz, S. J., Syed, M., Yip, T., Knight, G. P., Umana-Taylor, A. J., Rivas-Drake, D., & Study Group on Ethnic and Racial Identity in the 21st Century. (2014). Methodological issues in ethnic and racial identity research: Theoretical prevision, measurement issues and research designs. Child Development, 85 (1), 58-76.
- Umana-Taylor, A. J., Quintana, S. M., Lee, R. M., Cross, W. E., Rivas-Drake, D., Schwartz, S. J., Syed, M., Yip, T., Seaton, E. K. & Study Group on Ethnic and Racial Identity in the 21st Century. (2014). Ethnic and racial identity during adolescence and into young adulthood: An integrated conceptualization. Child Development, 85 (1), 21-39.
- Yip, T. & Douglass, S. (2013). The application of experience sampling approaches to the study of ethnic identity: New developmental insights and directions. Child Development Perspectives, 7 (4), 211-214.
- Yip, T., Douglass, S. & Shelton, J. N. (2013). Daily contact with similar others in diverse settings: Implications for Asian Adolescents’ ethnic identity. Child Development, 84 (4), 1425-1441.