Assistant Professor of Psychology
Rose Hill Campus: Dealy Hall, Room 238
- 2003 BA in Psychology, New York University
- 2012 PhD in Clinical Psychology, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
- 2012-2015 Postdoctoral Research Fellowship, Alpert Medical School of Brown University
Major Research Interests
- Tobacco dependence and smoking cessation among vulnerable populations with psychiatric and substance use disorders, and chronic health conditions (e.g., HIV).
- Processes and mechanisms of desired health behavior change (e.g., the role of affect and stress in the process of quitting smoking)
- Innovative and disseminable interventions to reduce smoking-related health disparities in at-risk populations (e.g., smartphone intervention, interactive voice response [IVR])
- PSYC 1200 – Foundations of Psychology
- Brief Mindfulness Intervention for Smoking Cessation among Post-Hospitalized Depressed Smokers (Co-PI, sponsored by National Institute of Drug Abuse)
- Extended Care for Smoking Cessation Following Psychiatric Hospitalization (Co-Investigator, sponsored by National Institute of Mental Health)
- Brown, R.A., Abrantes, A.M., Minami, H., Prince, M. A., Bloom, E.L., Apodaca, T.R., Strong, D.R., Picotte, D.M., Monti, P.M., MacPherson, L., Matsko, S.V., and Hunt, J.I. (in press). Motivational interviewing to reduce substance use in adolescents with psychiatric comorbidity. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment.
- McCarthy, D. E., Minami, H., Yeh, V. M., & Bold, K. W. (in press) An Experimental Investigation of Reactivity to Ecological Momentary Assessment Frequency among Adults Trying to Quit Smoking. Addiction.
- Minami, H., Bloom, E. L., Palm Reed, K. M., Hayes, S. C., & Brown, R. A. (in press). The moderating role of experiential avoidance in the relationships between internal distress and smoking behavior during a quit attempt. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors.
- Minami, H., Tran, L., & McCarthy, D. E. (in press). Using ecological measures of smoking trigger exposure to predict smoking cessation milestone. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors.
- Minami, H., Kahler, C. W., Bloom, E. L., Strong, D. R., Abrantes, A. M., Zywiak, W. H., Price, L. H., & Brown, R. A. (2015). Effects of depression history and sex on the efficacy of sequential versus standard fluoxetine for smoking cessation in elevated depressive symptoms smokers. Addictive Disorders and Their Treatment, 14(1), 29-39.
- Minami, H., Kahler, C. W., Bloom, E. L., Prince, M. A., Abrantes, A. M., Strong, D. R., Niaura, R. S., Miller, I. W., Palm Reed, K. M., Price, L. H., & Brown, R. A. (2014). Effects of sequential fluoxetine and gender on pre-quit depressive symptoms, affect, craving, and quit day abstinence in smokers with elevated depressive symptoms: A growth curve modeling approach. Experimental and Clinical Psychopharmacology. 22(5), 392–406.
- Brown, R. A., Abrantes, A. M., Minami, H., Read, J. P., Marcus, B. H., Jakicic, J., Strong, D. R., Dubreuil, M. E., Gordon, A. A., Ramsey, S. E., Kahler, C. W., & Stuart, G. (2014). A preliminary, randomized trial of aerobic exercise for alcohol dependence. Journal of Alcohol and Drugs Treatments, 47(1), 1-9
- Minami, H., Yeh, V. M., Bold, K. W., Chapman, G. B., & McCarthy, D. E. (2014). Relations among affect, abstinence motivation and confidence, and daily smoking lapse risk. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 28(2), 376-388.
- Brown, R. A., Palm, K. M., Bloom, E. L., Minami, H., Strong, D. R., Lejuez, C. W., Kahler, C. W., Zvolensky, M. J., Gifford, E. V., & Hayes, S. C. (2013). Development and preliminary randomized controlled trial of a distress tolerance treatment for smokers with a history of early lapse. Nicotine & Tobacco Research, 15(12), 2005-15.
- Minami, H., McCarthy, D. E., Jorenby, D. E., & Baker, T. (2011). An ecological momentary assessment analysis of the relations among coping, affect and smoking during a quit attempt. Addiction, 106(3), 641-50.