Master of Arts in International Humanitarian Action
Shaping Humanitarian Leaders
In a disaster, good intentions are not enough. To care for people at their most vulnerable, humanitarian aid workers need to take swift and mindful action. That makes on-the-ground skills and best practices absolutely critical.
A Master of Arts in International Humanitarian Action (MIHA) shapes humanitarians in the field to lead and transform international humanitarian response. Intensive courses, offered globally, challenge mid-career professionals to devise solutions alongside like-minded practitioners from around the world.
The program’s multidisciplinary approach equips humanitarians with the tools to respond thoughtfully and effectively in crises. Students apply theoretical learning in the classroom to the complex realities of humanitarian action to generate debate, gain knowledge, and craft solutions, emboldening them to put the innovative approaches they study throughout the program to practice in their own careers.
- More than 3,000 humanitarian workers from 140 countries have enrolled in IIHA training courses offered through the MIHA program
- Courses are designed to accommodate the schedules and work patterns of humanitarian workers through one-, two-, and four-week intensive sessions held in exciting locations around the world, including Amman, Barcelona, Kathmandu, New York City, and Vienna.
- Students learn techniques for specialized humanitarian intervention, including forced migration, logistics, education in emergencies, and humanitarian law
- 32-credit program divided into four modules: Humanitarian Assistance; Operational Humanitarian Assistance; and Management of Humanitarian Action, and
- Humanitarian Leadership
- Diplomas in Humanitarian Assistance; Operational Humanitarian Assistance; and Management of Humanitarian Action (Modules 1, 2, and 3) can be taken as an
- independent advanced certificate
- Program can be completed in two to five years, depending on students’
- availability and schedules
- Individual courses and diplomas can be taken as stand-alone training sessions
- outside of the Master’s program
The MIHA program strives to enhance the skillsets and academic knowledge of humanitarian professionals who have worked in the field for at least five years. Students graduate with a unique, advanced degree that can propel them into management positions in the sector, as well as a growing network of fellow MIHA alums who are leading humanitarian action around the world.