Fordham University Press Editorial Internship
This year-long internship will introduce students to the field of scholarly book publishing at a university press. Interns will report to the Editorial Director, working closely with them as well as other Press staff in acquisitions, manuscript editing, production and design, marketing, publicity, and business. Interns will become acquainted with the various aspects of the publishing process from start to finish.
Interns’ duties will include:
- Facilitating external peer review of proposals and manuscripts under consideration
- Handling correspondence with authors, peer reviewers, and other press contacts
- Preparing manuscripts for copy editing and production
- Assisting in grant writing and requests for publication subsidies
- Helping to prepare marketing and publicity materials for forthcoming titles
In the process, interns will have an opportunity to learn about and gain experience in:
- Developing individual manuscripts as well as scholarly lists across subject areas and academic disciplines
- Negotiating publication contracts, permissions, and subsidiary rights
- Preparing title budgets, including price and print-run estimates
- Editing and producing books in both print and electronic formats
- Planning for and attending book events and scholarly conferences in the New York City area
This 9 hour/week internship is paired with a tutorial under the DGS or DPPD that consists of weekly readings and a short final written assignment. Interested candidates should email Fredric Nachbaur (email@example.com) by August 15 to learn more about the internship and set up an interview.