Ph.D. in Computer Science
A cutting edge discipline that delivers constant innovation and development
Fordham’s Ph.D. in computer science is designed to educate the next generation of researchers, faculty, and industry leaders in a critical discipline that delivers constant innovation and development, while promoting ethically informed public interest technological research.
With guaranteed support for five years, accepted students will have the opportunity to find their focus area while building a strong foundation across computer science fields and becoming grounded in computer science pedagogy.
Study in New York City
With thousands of multinational corporations, New York offers unparalleled opportunities for you to expand your applied practical knowledge and learning horizons. You can explore a wide range of interests, with practitioners available nearby to discuss research ideas and an array of industries willing to grant access to their corporate data, all while having access to Fordham’s state-of-the-art research lab.
The Ph.D. in Computer Science is a registered STEM designated program, which permits a 24-month extension of post-completion Optional Practical Training (OPT), for a total eligibility of up to 36 months. Please consult Fordham’s STEM Extension page for more information.
Train for a Successful Career
As a newly-minted Ph.D., you’ll be in high demand both inside and outside academia. Fordham’s Ph.D. in computer science will set you up as an in-demand candidate for jobs including:
- computer and information research scientist
- computer science professor
- computer and information manager
- computer network architect
- information security analyst
Engaging Courses of Study
In Fordham’s computer science Ph.D. program, research training taking place within the first two years of the program. You’ll have the chance to study topics like:
- machine learning and AI/robotics
- big data analytics and informatics
- data and information fusion
- information and cyber security
- and software engineering and systems
And you’ll take foundational and advanced courses like:
- Computer Language Theory
- Computer Algorithms
- Internet of Things
- Ensemble Methods
- Computer Vision/Image Recognition
- Applications will be open starting in fall 2021 with a program start date of fall 2022.
- Fordham’s computer science Ph.D. is offered at both the Rose Hill campus in the Bronx and the Lincoln Center campus in Manhattan.
- Students are guaranteed support for five years.
- The program can only be entered on a full-time basis.
- The curriculum requires 70 credits of course and research work.
- Candidates must demonstrate mastery of breadth coursework requirements and complete a research initiation project within 24 months of matriculation in the program.
- Students are required to complete qualification examinations; present and defend successfully a dissertation prospectus proposal; and complete the depth course work requirements within 36 months of matriculation in the program.
- Students will research, write, and defend successfully a Ph.D. dissertation within 60 months of matriculation in the program.