Fordham University provides Bitdefender antivirus software, available as a free download to students, staff, and faculty.
Antivirus protection is essential to protect your computer from virus and malware infections. Fordham Network Access Control (NAC) requires that all computers have a supported antivirus package installed. If your computer does not have supported antivirus software, access to Fordham's network will be limited.
In addition to installing antivirus software, good cyber hygiene is key for protecting your personal devices from cyber attacks and viruses. Find out how with our free, self-paced online Cyber Security Awareness training, located in Blackboard under "My Courses."
Faculty and Staff who use the virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) should NOT download any antivirus software to their device. Antivirus software and their automatic security updates are applied to VDI on a regular basis. Always leave your computer on overnight to get the latest updates.
Download Free and Supported Antivirus Software
Bitdefender antivirus is provided free to all students, faculty, and staff. Before downloading the application, you will need to provide your Fordham AccessIT ID and password, and provide multi-factor authentication. Fordham's network allows other antivirus software, but Fordham IT only provides full support and free downloads for Bitdefender.
For a Windows/PC computer
- Endpoint Security by Bitdefender will automatically uninstall other antivirus software.
- Bitdefender for Windows/PC 10, 8, 7
- Download and install Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools for Windows (Do not rename the executable.)
For a Mac
- Uninstall Symantec Endpoint
- Download and install Symantec Uninstaller App for Macs
- Mac for OS High Sierra 10.13, Sierra 10.12, El Capitan 10.11 and Yosemite 10.10. If you are running OS 10.9 or earlier, we recommend upgrading the operating system. Contact IT Customer for assistance.