Second Annual Sponsored Research Day
9:30 a.m. - 4 p.m., April 4, 2018 (Wednesday)
O'Hare Special Collections of Walsh Library
Rose Hill Campus, Fordham University
441 East Fordham Road, Bronx, NY 10458
Session I. Research Compliance Awareness: 9:30 - 10:50 a.m.
Chair: Michele Kuchera, IRB Manager, Interim Research Compliance Officer, and Director, University Research Compliance Council
Opening Remarks: Dr. Jonathan Crystal, Associate Chief Academic Officer and Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs
1. Michele Kuchera, IRB Manager, “Introduction to Institutional Review Board”
2. Silvio Balzano, Director, IT Risk & Integrity, “IT Privacy”
3. Lau-Rene Manuel, Director, Environmental Compliance and Occupational Safety and John Puglisi, Associate Vice President, Facilities Management, “General Lab Safety and Hazardous Communication”
4. Patricio Meneses, Associate Professor of Biological Sciences and Chair of the Institutional Biosafety Committee, “Biosafety Issues”
5. Jeremy Slatkin, Director, Financial Reporting & Compliance, “Financial Compliance”
6. Kris Wolff, Director, Office of Sponsored Programs, “Sponsored Research Compliance”
Session II. Export Control Workshop: 11 a.m. - 12 p.m.
Chair: Kris Wolff, Director of the Office of Sponsored Programs
Keynote Speaker: Dr. Jennifer Saak, Managing Director of Traliance
Speaker Bio: Dr. Saak has 20 years of experience in export controls compliance and scientific research. She has provided compliance solutions to top U.S. research universities, leading academic medical centers, non-profit research organizations, and a wide variety of industrial companies. Her expertise is in export control risk assessments, commodity and technology classifications, training, deemed exports, and business process improvements. Previously, Dr. Saak worked as a Technical Trade Compliance Leader of a multi-national petrochemical company and served as a research engineer for General Electric. Dr. Saak is an active speaker and instructor for several organizations. She has 7 U.S. and international patents, 6 technical publications in peer-reviewed journals, and multiple management and innovation awards. Dr. Saak earned a Ph.D. in materials science and engineering from Northwestern University and a B.S. in materials science and engineering from Cornell University.
Session III. Award Ceremony: 12:30 - 2 p.m.
Chair: Dr. George Hong, Chief Research Officer and Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs
Opening Remarks: Rev. Joseph M. McShane, S.J., President, Fordham University
Presenting Awards: Dr. Stephen Freedman, Provost, Fordham University
Presentations: The Five Outstanding Externally Funded Research Awardees
Session IV. Humanities Research Forum: 2:30 - 4 p.m.
Chairs: Dr. J.D. Lewis, Chair of the University Research Council; Beth Torres, Grants Officer
1. Chris Dietrich, Assistant Professor of History and Co-Director of American Studies
2. Orit Avishai, Associate Professor of Sociology; Co-Director, Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies; Member, Jewish Studies Program
3. Hugo Benavides, Professor and Chair of the Department of Sociology and Anthropology; Interim Director of the Latin American and Latino Studies Institute
4. Annika Marlen Hinze, Assistant Professor of Political Science and Director of the Urban Studies Program
5. Micki McGee, Associate Professor of Sociology and American Studies, Coordinator of the Strategic Research Consortium on Digital Scholarship; President, Fordham Faculty Senate; Co-Director, American Studies Program; Co-Chair, Fordham Digital Humanities Working Group
6. Angela O’Donnell, Acting/Associate Director, Curran Center for American Catholic Studies
7. Nicholas Paul, Associate Professor of History and Director of Medieval Studies
Organized by the Fordham University Office of Research and the University Research Council.
Sponsored by the University Research Compliance Council and the Office of Sponsored Programs.
Sponsored Research Day Program