CIS Student Employment and Internship Opportunities
Google Careers OnAir
Planning your next career move?
Whether you're preparing for your first internship or pivoting to your next opportunity, Google Careers OnAir will help you connect, learn, and grow. Register for the Google Careers OnAir upcoming livestreams, watch previously-aired events on demand, and let us help you get one step closer to your future.
Associate Director, Data Science / Artificial Intelligence, Penguin Random House
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution.
With the proliferation of data and the fast-changing dynamics within the publishing industry, data science and AI tools are more vital to our business than ever.
The data science team at PRH is looking for a senior data scientist to join them at the associate director level. This person may have managed a small team (1-3 people) in a prior role, or has reached a point in their career where they are ready to take on people management for the first time. This new team member will own several high priority projects / data products and will be responsible not just for deliverables but also for relationships with other stakeholders in the business.
Data science at PRH truly runs the gamut, from sales forecasting to recommender systems to GANs for synthetic images to NLP to price optimization, and the data science team are drawn from various disciplines and backgrounds. The group is well resourced and well supported by data engineering and DevOps functions, and project portfolios tend to include a mix of deadline-driven sprints and longer-term, open-ended research.
The ideal candidate for this role will have exposure to supply chain management and associated data science problems such as sales / demand forecasting, OR an ecommerce/measurement background, as projects undertaken in the first 1-2 years will be anchored in one of these areas.
- Execute end-to-end data science projects, including ideation, data collection/engineering, modeling/machine learning, interpretation/visualization, and deployment
- Improve upon existing methodologies by developing new models, making model enhancements, and fine-tuning model parameters
- Own projects and deliverables and initiate, deepen, and extend relationships with adjacent teams including product, marketing, engineering, operations, and sales.
- Prioritize and multitask in a deadline-driven environment
- Play a leadership role within the data science team w/r/t uptake of new technologies, libraries, skills
- BA/BS/MS in a quantitative field such as Computer Science, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Engineering, Operations Research, etc.
- At least 4 years of working experience in a data science role with a track record of project/product ownership and project-level leadership
- Interest in people management
- Expertise in Python, TensorFlow / PyTorch
- Expertise in SQL
- Expertise in Git and experience working on production code in share codebase
- Familiarity (at least) with AWS and Kubernetes
- Familiarity (at least) with Docker and containerized workflows
- Familiarity (at least) with CI / CD
- Demonstrated track record of continuous learning and skill acquisition
- A team player, and able to work with others across various levels and roles
Please submit a cover letter with salary expectations and resume through our online application process to be considered for this role.
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom, and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution. Our vibrant and diverse international community of nearly 250 publishing brands and imprints include Ballantine Bantam Dell, Berkley, Clarkson Potter, Crown, DK, Doubleday, Dutton, Grosset & Dunlap, Little Golden Books, Knopf, Modern Library, Pantheon, Penguin Books, Penguin Press, Penguin Random House Audio, Penguin Young Readers, Portfolio, Puffin, Putnam, Random House, Random House Children’s Books, Riverhead, Ten Speed Press, Viking, and Vintage, among others. More information can be found at http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/.
Penguin Random House values the array of talents and perspectives that a diverse workforce brings. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, religion, age, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status.
Added August 10, 2020
Fordham IT Internships
Web Developer Intern in the Rose Hill Strategic Application Solutions department
Database Administration Intern in the Rose Hill Database Administration Group
Added June 17, 2020
Online Coding Instructor
We are looking for part-time coding instructors to teach computer coding classes to school students (8-18 years old). Classes are taught online, so you will be working remotely from your home and utilizing a virtual classroom environment. Each class typically meets once per week and are 1-hour long. There are 6-8 students per class.
We provide a structured curriculum, teaching platform, and instruction materials. The primary role of a CodeWizardsHQ Instructor is to deliver the curriculum in an engaging way and ultimately be responsible for student retention and parent satisfaction.
- Deliver the curriculum in a fun and engaging way
- Provide feedback for curriculum improvement
- Engage with parents/students as needed
- Positively advocate for the school and the program
- Experience with the coding languages we teach
- Experience teaching kids or adults
- Computer purchased in the last five years, with microphone headset and high-speed internet access
- A quiet workspace free of distractions
How much is my compensation?
You will be paid $20 per hour-long session with potential for raises and bonuses based on student retention and parent satisfaction.
What languages are you looking for instructors to teach?
When will I be teaching?
The highest availability of classes is between 10 a.m. – 10 p.m. CT Monday - Friday and 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. on Saturdays and 10 a.m. – 8 p.m. on Sundays.
How many classes will I be teaching?
Initially, new instructors start with 2-3 classes per week. Based on how well students enjoy your classes, you would be given additional classes. Once ramped, our instructors take between 10 to 20 sessions per week.
How long will I need to teach?
Each of our courses is 12 weeks in duration. When you accept a class you are agreeing to teach for the full duration of that course.
Numerade, an organization that provides STEM students with resources, is currently offering a flexible and remote internship opportunity for college students. If you’re interested you can apply at this link here: Educator Sign Up.