CIS Student Employment and Internship Opportunities
Added May 18, 2020
Sony AI is seeking highly skilled and motivated individuals, with expertise in reinforcement learning, computer vision, machine learning, and/or robotics, for immediate hire.
About Sony AI
Sony AI is dedicated to using AI to help unleash human imagination and creativity. We believe in researching and developing AI techniques that empower the imagination and creativity of artists, makers and creators around the world. Our aim is to advance AI so that it augments, and works in harmony with, humans to benefit society.
Sony AI?s research and development are driven through agile, world-class AI flagship projects that motivate the creation of AI technologies in both the virtual and physical spaces. The initial three flagship projects are in computer gaming; sensing and imaging for robotics; and gastronomy. Other projects will be added over time. We aim to leverage our core expertise in sensing, computer vision, machine learning, reinforcement learning, and robotics towards novel research and applications.
All Sony AI research projects will be pursued in close collaboration with the relevant Sony Group business units, including those in gaming, imaging, and sensing.
We believe that extraordinary innovation requires diversity in people and methods; that AI should be developed and deployed in a responsible, fair, and transparent way; and that all technology should serve social good.
We primarily seek ambitious and dedicated research scientists and engineers. The ideal candidate will
- have extensive AI expertise, especially in reinforcement learning, deep learning, computer vision, generative models, and/or robotics;
- hold a PhD (research scientists) or at least an MSc (engineers) or equivalent experience in a related field.
- have strong system-building skills;
- be passionate about helping us innovate at the cutting edge of machine learning and robotics;
- have strong interpersonal and communication skills.
The following positions are open for immediate application. Some additional positions are expected to open soon.
Open Roles at Sony AI America (location flexible)
Research Scientist (RL)
For information about roles in robotics in America, please contact Peter Stone at email@example.com.
Open Roles at Sony AI Tokyo:
Our team is led by:
- Hiroaki Kitano
- Peter Stone
- Masahiro Fujita
- Michael Spranger
- Pete Wurman
- Peter Dürr
The team also includes many of the leading minds in reinforcement learning, computer vision, other types of machine learning, and robotics.
Thanks to substantial strategic investment by Sony Corporation, Sony AI is prepared to hire qualified individuals for immediate start. Individuals who prefer to start later are also encouraged to apply.
We are hiring in our Tokyo office, in our Zurich office, and at Sony AI America. Sony AI America is a fully distributed division, so location is flexible.
Added April 28, 2020
Title: Full Stack Engineering Intern
Location: New York, NY
Canoe has created a new era in data operations. We are the first technology that automates highly frustrating, time-consuming, and costly manual workflows related to alternative investments and complex portfolios. Our proprietary SaaS-based technology intelligently recognizes, validates, and reads unstructured investment data across asset classes, ownership structures, and document types. With Canoe, our clients have intelligent, streamlined, and trusted data at their fingertips, enabling them to focus on what really matters.
- Work collaboratively with the Development Team to conduct manual and automated quality assurance (“QA”) tests for new product features prior to review and deployment
- Communicate and itemize results of QA tests to Development Team, focusing on progression of system interactions throughout test
- Analyze and implement tactical systems changes focused on user interface and user experience, as assigned
- Participate and contribute to the software development process, from idea generation through product release
Required Skills and Competencies
- Knowledge of SQL + one additional general purpose programming language
- Demonstrated ability to learn and execute new programming languages
- Ability to complete assigned projects in a timely fashion
- Detail-oriented and ability to measure details against a standard while identifying flaws
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- Familiar with web applications development experience
- Familiarity with OOP, MVC, and commonly used design patterns
- Familiarity with continuous integration, automated testing, source control, and other DevOps methodologies
- Comfort with AWS and Linux
- Familiar with PHP and/or Python development and architecture
- General knowledge of machine learning/natural language processing models
- Creative problem solving - ability to look critically at details and be thoughtful of potential improvements
- Our candidate discovery process generally constitutes the following key milestones: 1-2 phone interviews, 1 in-person or video interview (based on location of candidate), and 1 technical assessment
- Integrity that adheres to, and encourages, high professional and personal standards.
- Execution and accountability-driven mentality that takes pride in getting the job done.
- Intellectual curiosity, a mind for process, and a drive for continual improvement.
- Demonstrated passion for problem solving, a desire to help people, and a client-centric focus.
- A comfort level with both giving and receiving respectful constructive critical feedback.
- The ability to identify and articulate goals and measurements for your and others’ success.
Canoe is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
Added February 26, 2020
Director of Engineering, Biota, SoHo, NYC
Postion Type: Full-time, salaried
Location: On-site in SoHo, NYC
Level: Mid to Senior Level
Start Date: As soon as possible
Biotia is a VC-backed, early-stage startup working with hospitals to diagnose infectious disease and reduce the rate of hospital-acquired infections. We are leveraging next-generation sequencing (NGS), an extensive database, pending patents, and smart systems to identify and track pathogens, antimicrobial resistance, and risk before patients get sick. Biotia is rapidly growing and facing increasing workload due to demonstrated traction with current and prospective customers. We are developing tests and a state-of-the-art New York State-based CLIA-accredited laboratory with a special focus on clinical metagenomics.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as Director of Engineering. We are looking for a technical leader who's comfortable working in a fast-paced health tech startup, managing a small yet growing team, communicating directly with leadership, and taking ownership of our infectious disease diagnostic platform roadmap to deliver strong and scalable results.
The Director of Engineering will head the Biotia software tech team as outlined in the separate responsibilities here:
IT and Software Development
- Continue to lead the development and commercialization of our patented-pending metagenomic software, Chelsea™, and our microbial sequence databases with emphasis on following the rigor of industry-standard Software Development Life Cycle
- Develop project plans with time-bound task lists, set and meet deadlines, and provide timely project tracking updates to share with the team
- Ensure development and releases (incorporating regression testing and appropriate sign-offs) of the software for implementation in our workflow and customize for hospital customers and partner labs, maintaining the highest standards of functionality to the customers while adhering to HIPAA guidelines
- Maintain separate Development, Pre-Production, and Production environments for the software
- Manage the network and, working with AWS, maintain adequate cybersecurity and HIPAA compliance for all facets of Biotia
- Maintain Business Continuity Procedures including Back-up and Recovery
- Manage all IT assets and contracts
- Implement/integrate new functions into our bioinformatics platform
Tech Team Management
- Directly manage a small tech team (1-2 people initially and then scaling in year) including managing daily work, providing constructive feedback, HR, and conducting semi-annual reviews
- Work directly with leadership in the construction and implementation of C-suite-determined innovations
- Conduct quality assurance reviews with equal emphasis on functionality and documentation of changes
- Develop and maintain business continuity scripts encompassing the database, software, access, and network topology
- Work in a highly collaborative environment: we believe a team can be stronger than its individual parts
- Testing of software, debugging, help desk management (with customer incidence reporting), and response to hospital customers
- Implementation of software and drafting of SOPs that meet CLIA standards
- Customization of software to meet customer needs as appropriate
- Field issues from customers including bugs and fixes to bugs
- Draft updates to customers on progress, challenges, and resolutions
- Work together with our project manager, rest of team, and hospital customers to keep tech team on track for pilots, studies, engagements, and software launches
- Work closely with C-suite to determine timelines for projects and keep team members on track to meet deadlines
- Make and manage task lists
- Utilize project management software in all tracking and communication of progress on projects
- Work closely with Chief Medical Officer to continuously improve the clinical utility of microbiology report, databases, and annotations of databases
- Track, manage, discuss, and report the status of tasks across departments
- Work closely with our Chief Medical Officer and lab team to make sure software development aligns with their development roadmap
- Manage, inform Biotia personnel, and respond to incoming customer emails related to bugs
- Attend company, tech team, and R&D meetings to present and align roadmap and timelines across teams
- Work with the CEO to prepare materials and updates for team and board meetings
- Other responsibilities as needed.
Qualifications (Education, Experience, Skills)
- BA/BS in Computer Science or equivalent practical experience, M.S./Ph.D. preferred
- Background in biology and genomics or metagenomics required, with demonstrated publication record preferred
- Experience with Agile Methodology for software development
- 5+ years of experience in product-focused software technology organizations, or equivalent education and experience
- C++ and C# required. Preference will be given to applicants with full-stack software development knowledge (e.g. SQL, Python, public cloud services, distributed databases, and UI frameworks)
- Experience analyzing sequencing data, samples sequenced by Illumina or ONT preferred
- Experience with cloud providers, AWS preferred
- Experience using standard bioinformatics tools (e.g., BLAST, Kraken, MegaBlast, or MetaPhlAn2) and also bioinformatics analysis platforms (including the creation of databases of sequences data)
- Experience with Data Analytics, aggregating and anonymizing sequencing data aimed for public sharing
- Experience with HIPAA regulations preferred
- Demonstrated experience in selecting the tools and managing an appropriate cyber-secure environment
- Demonstrated enterprise-level software development experience
- Demonstrated database management experience
- 3+ years of experience in leadership and managerial capacities with cross-disciplinary teams with a successful track record of managing SaaS (software as a service) environments
- Excellent team-building skills with a strong ability to promote trust and motivate and inspire talented engineers
- Demonstrated early-stage startup experience ideal
- Results-focused with a positive attitude who will "roll up your sleeves" to get things done
- Superior problem-solving skills with an appetite for a demanding and rewarding role
- Demonstrated experience communicating weekly progress to non-technical executives
- Demonstrated experience drafting and working within a budget
- Ability to effectively communicate ideas, issues, and solutions to a diverse audience both orally and in writing
- Ability to listen actively and respond effectively through a variety of channels
- Ability to give and receive candid and constructive feedback
- Field issues from customers including bugs and fixes to bugs
- Draft updates to customers on progress, challenges, and resolutions
Salary commensurate with experience, in the $125K-$150K vicinity. Equity and health benefits are available.
Please send CV, cover letter, and contact information for three references to Dr. Niamh O'Hara at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Added February 20, 2020
What’s the Foundry?
The Fordham Foundry is “Fordham’s Hub for Innovation and Entrepreneurship,” where students can Learn, Connect, Launch and Grow non-profit and for-profit Businesses. Through the use of curricular and co-curricular offerings and an interconnected network of alumni, students, faculty, as well as the rich and diverse New York City startup ecosystem, the Fordham Foundry provides students with the knowledge and courage to take their ideas as far as their drive and determination will allow. We are looking for a PHP Developer with a passion for creating elegant code and frontend design.
You might be a fit if you are a:
Problem Solver: Let’s face it, coding can be hard. You’re often in the middle of programming and get stuck. You may have multiple tabs of Stack Overflow open and still nothing seems to solve your problem. Until you look within and realize YOU are the solution to your problem as you are equipped with a tenacious penchant for figuring things out. For you, every problem is more of a puzzle than an obstacle.
Software Craftsperson: Getting the job done isn’t the same as getting the job done well. You recognize that the code you ship can always be improved, and you seek to improve it. You feel comfortable signing your name to code, and treat it as an iterative representation of your best ability.
Stickler for Both Details and Results: Your main medium for PHP development will be Wordpress. Under the hood, there may be classes, functions, methods, and constants. But you know that people don’t interact with what you write in between <? $some_code ?>; what they can see and do matters just as much. Your style of coding reflects a balance of function, form, art, and science.
What you’ll be doing:
- Meeting with the team to discuss website design & function, then delivering on agreed upon scope on time and to specification.
- Managing the website backend & infrastructure, including database, server integration, and version control using Git.
- Ensuring the site’s performance speeds, uptimes, and device/browser compatibility.
Find out if you are a fit. Wanna play a game?
- Send us work you’re proud of! It can be a Github repository or a website you currently have published live.
- Take a look at the current Fordham Foundry website ( forhdamfoundry.org ) and tell us 1-3 things you would improve. Bonus points if you use Inspector or another tool to find technical improvements.
- Send your work and improvement recommendations to email@example.com. Good luck and we hope to work with you soon!
Added February 10, 2020
BondCliQ, located in Battery Park, is looking to democratize the corporate bond market making the liquidation and buy process of these type of bonds as easy as normal stock day trading. Developers will work on the front and back end processes of their new market application. They are looking for developers preferably in their Senior year who will be able to graduate and start working right away.
Some of the language skills strongly preferred are:
Some other skills are MySQL Workbench, Node.js modules (Express).
For additional information or questions, students can email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Numerade, an organization that provides STEM students with resources, is currently offering a flexible and remote internship opportunity for college students. If you’re interested you can apply at this link here: Educator Sign Up.