M.A. in Philosophy Admissions Information/Requirements
Guidelines and Information
Candidates for the M.A. in Philosophy are expected to have at least 24 undergraduate credits in philosophy, preferably a major. Non-philosophy majors should have solid training in some other demanding discipline, such as mathematics, science, classical Latin or Greek; an undergraduate GPA of not less than 3.3 for seven semesters is required, with an average of 3.5 in philosophy. Completed applications will include each of the following items
- Official degree transcripts confirming prior degree conferral are required for all applicants, regardless of matriculation status. These should be ordered at least one month prior to the application deadline for your program of interest, and should be sent directly to the Office of Admissions (firstname.lastname@example.org) via secure electronic delivery. If electronic delivery is not available, please request that your transcripts be submitted directly via post, in a sealed envelope, to: Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, Office of Admissions, Fordham University, 441 E. Fordham Rd., Bronx, NY 10458. Please note: you may upload unofficial copies of your transcripts to your application while the Office of Admissions awaits receipt of your official transcripts.
- Official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) Scores: Due to the impact of COVID-19 on standardized testing, GRE scores are optional for both the Ph.D and M.A. programs for the 2020–2021 admissions cycle. Applicants who wish to submit GRE scores may do so, but scores are not required (scores should be sent directly by the testing service to the Office of Graduate Admissions, Fordham University, Graduate School of Arts and Sciences – Code #2259). The exams should be taken at least one month prior to the application deadline
- Statement of intent (500 - 750 words, submitted electronically, via the online application)
- Writing sample (5 - 20 pages, submitted electronically, via the online application)
- Three letters of recommendation (submitted directly by referees via the online application)
International applicants whose native language is not English are required to complete and submit to GSAS prior to matriculation their official scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). GSAS will also consider a student’s International English Language Testing System (IELTS)—Cambridge English Proficiency Level language testing results and the Duolingo English Test (DET) as an assessment of your English competency.
Official TOEFL, IELTS, or DET scores should be sent directly by the testing service to the Office of Graduate Admissions, Fordham University, Graduate School of Arts and Sciences – code #2259. Please consult the English Proficiency web page for additional information.
Minimum score requirements for most programs:
|IELTS||7.0 band score|
The department may prescribe additional coursework for students whose backgrounds are deficient, in which case the time limit for completion of coursework will be extended.
For information about applying, please go to the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences admissions web page.