Advanced Certificate in Public Opinion and Survey Research
Designed to keep pace with the rapidly changing world of public opinion polling, Fordham's Advanced Certificate in Public Opinion and Survey Research will provide the best practices in survey research and the latest techniques in polling and analysis - allowing students to be at the forefront of the science.
With courses taught by leading experts in the field, you will develop the skills needed for a professional career in political (campaign) and public (media and non-profit) survey research..
From quantitative methods through a hands-on practicum, this certificate program will take students through the fundamentals of public opinion research—preparing you for a wide variety of careers in public opinion and survey research. Our goal is to ensure that graduates of this program will not only grasp survey research in the present, but will fully understand where it will be headed in the future.
Fordham American Faith Poll
As a student enrolled in the certificate program, you will not only learn the theories that apply to quality public opinion research, but you will put theory into practice through the Fordham American Faith poll, an annual national survey on faith in American life. Polls can provide both the public and its government representatives with information on important aspects of American beliefs and preferences.
Each spring, under the supervision of nationally recognized faculty and practitioners, you will develop questions, analyze data, and issue press releases based on survey results regarding faith and culture in America. This practical experience will prepare you for a range of professional careers in public opinion, in political and public survey research, or will provide career advancement for professionals already in the field.
- Gain advanced training in the theory and hands-on design of survey and public opinion polling instruments
- Learn how to administer and analyze the results of survey instruments and polls
- Identify how to make data accessible and meaningful across various stakeholder communities and the general public
- Integrate polling and survey research so that it can be effective for a range of professional settings and workplace environments
- Designed as a one-year program for full-time students
- Students may attend on a part-time basis
- Curriculum requires 5 courses for a total of 15 credits
- Students enrolled in Fordham's M.A. in Elections and Campaign Management program can apply three courses toward the advanced certificate
- Evening courses offered at both Lincoln Center and Rose Hill campuses
- Rolling admissions
As the demand for public opinion research and polling skills continues to grow, so does the need for highly trained individuals with the abilities to analyze data; measure attitudes, beliefs, and behaviors; and draw appropriate results from the interpretation of that data. Career opportunities include the following positions:
- Corporate and Political Market Research Analyst
- Market Insights Analyst
- Policy Analyst
- Policy Committee and Programs Coordinator
- Political Campaign Pollster
- Principal Public Affairs Representative
- Project Manager, Survey Research
- Public Affairs Coordinator
- Public Affairs Manager
- Public Affairs Reporter
- Research Associate
- Survey Group Manager