Reading on the Web
- Reading online is difficult... for everyone.
- When confronted with a wall of text, users will leave.
- Users are goal-oriented. They have a question to get answered, a task to complete.
- They are busy. They want to grab and go. Content should be “snackable.”
Writing for the Web
- Not dumbing down
- Clear, concise, efficient; consider using Hemingway
- Respects people’s time
- Mobile-friendly (think mobile first!)
- Consider how users will use the content
- Users will read the content that’s easiest to read – scannable text
- Use headers, links, and lists to enhance browsing/scanning
- Avoid emphasizing too much; if everything is emphasized, nothing is
View Scannable and Conversational Text.