Scannable and Conversational Text
- Short sentences. Short paragraphs.
- Descriptive headings and subheadings
- Lists, bullets, tables
- Descriptive link names (that can stand alone, outside of context; maps and directions, degrees and programs
- Consider what content type will be most relevant and useful to the user; be sure to draw attention to it
- Talk to your users – use "you"; "Students will study..." change to "You will study..."
- Refer to yourself as "we" and "us"; "The department is pleased that..." change to "We are pleased that..."
- Active voice; "Recommendations were made by the advisory board," change to "The advisory board made recommendations."
- Even better: "The advisory board recommended..."
View scannable text examples.
View a webpage heatmap.