UMC recognizes the important role email communications plays in providing news, announcements, and event information to the University community in a timely fashion. We are always working to improve the effectiveness of our electronic communications, comply with the CAN-SPAM Act, and regulate the flow of email to our constituencies so that it remains an effective marketing and communications tool.
Schedule an Email
University Marketing and Communications is happy to assist you with your email marketing efforts. We have access to all constituent faculty, staff, student, parent, and alumni data and can share our expertise in increasing the likelihood that your email will be read and acted upon.
One of the ways we help is by maintaining a comprehensive email calendar of all external University communications to ensure that our alumni, parents, donors, and friends are not inundated with Fordham email on any given day.The best way to ensure your communication is sent in a timely manner is by reaching out to us as soon as possible. With a robust email calendar, we want to make sure your email is accounted for. Please contact your project manager at least two weeks in advance to when you would like your email sent.
How to Get Started
- After you’ve discussed what your needs are with your project manager, please be sure to compile all the assets we’ll need to create your email so that it may be submitted for review by our editorial team and email marketing specialist.
- What should be included in my submission? From name, sending email address (please note any replies to your campaign would be sent to this inbox), subject line and preheader. Additionally, please submit email copy, any images you’d like to use (we would encourage you to select horizontal images that can be sized 945x525), and links you’d like included.
- Let us know who this is going to. It helps us find an appropriate send date when we know who your audience is so that we can optimize the best possible send day and time for your email campaign.
- Will you be needing a reminder email? Plan the full scope of your campaign with your project manager so that we can plan to successfully schedule any emails you need.
- Submit your event to the University Calendar. Any Fordham sponsored, hosted or affiliated event is welcome to submit their listing to the calendar. Please allow three business days for your submission to appear on the site.
- If you are sending an email through the Marketing department, please be sure you are not sending any additional emails for this campaign via other platforms. It can cause confusion and is not best practice.
CAN-SPAM Act of 2003
Unwanted emails damage Fordham’s relationships with its alumni and donors, and we will work with you to ensure that your email is properly targeted to an audience who will welcome it. The CAN-SPAM Act of 2003 requires that email marketers give their constituents the option of unsubscribing from all emails or opting out of receiving select types of emails. To honor our constituents’ requests and to ensure that Fordham complies with the law, our email system will update email addresses, unsubscribes, and changes through a preference form.
- Subject: This should be descriptive but concise and highlight the most likely draw of the email. Here is some good advice on writing captivating subject lines.
- Preheader: This is the text that comes after the subject line when an email is viewed in your inbox. It should be used in conjunction with the subject to entice the reader to open the email.
- Content: Event emails should include the event’s title, date, time, and location. If there is a lot of information (speaker bios, long schedules, etc.), this should be on the event webpage.
- Call to Action: With the exception of newsletters, each email should have one clear call to action.
See more Tips for Creating Effective Emails.